Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

General discussion on Zend Guard / Optimizer

Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

Postby pk_fr_pk on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:24 pm

All is in the title ;o) ...

Same question for ZendLoader ...
pk_fr_pk

Re: Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

Postby zvika on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 am

Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby pk_fr_pk on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:33 am

No

I already knew the answer...

The real question was: is there an ETA? and when?
pk_fr_pk

Postby zvika on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am

No ETA and no ETA for ETA yet.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby diemuzi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

It will probably be another year+ before they come out with Zend Guard support for PHP 5.5

By then, PHP 6 will be out and the cycle of horrible release cycles continues.
MSF RiderCoach at http://bikertraining.net
diemuzi

Postby zvika on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:54 am

To get into proportions with running latest PHP 5.5 applications (migrating old code? maintaining your own runtime on customer sites?)

Zend Guard needs to have compatible runtime with majority of PHP setups in the wild.
Recent Stable Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse and CentOS, which are free and very common, have PHP default packages ranging between versions 5.4.4 and 5.4.17 (and even 5.3.3).

By looking at those Linux distros we support in Zend Server, nobody is rushing to update to PHP 5.5 at the moment and brake applications.
By providing Zend Server PHP with Loader on supported OS (Linux, Windows, Mac, IBM i, Cloud systems) - you can focus on the application code (PHP 5.3 / 5.4) and not on the runtime setup.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby pk_fr_pk on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:19 pm

It would be a good news for me (and I suppose for many ZendGuard users),
if as soon as a new Ubuntu release is available with a new php release,
it is immediately supported by ZendGuard/ZendLoader...
(and rc Zend versions are available with Ubuntu rc versions)

The coming 14.04 LTS is a good milestone... (if php 5.5 or later is available on it)
pk_fr_pk

Postby diemuzi on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:52 pm

It shouldn't matter what distro is using X version of PHP, that's just a poor excuse to be honest. If Zend is part of the PHP community then they should stay focused and up-to-date on the products they release. if PHP 5.5 is out, then Zend should be actively working on coming out with a release for 5.5 support.

This is like saying we have to wait for Microsoft to fix Windows before we can release our software. That would mean your software would never be released!

I'd prefer that Zend give us an actual explanation as to why they are not working on supporting PHP 5.5 and any future versions which may come out for support with Zend Guard. Instead of passing the blame to other distros. None of those Distro's are the ones writing your software.
diemuzi

Postby zvika on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 pm

I don't wish to argue since I'm not in product management, but I do like to relate to PHP evolve over the years.

If comparing to Microsoft, ASP is more comparable to PHP than Windows, I hope you agree on this anecdote.

ASP 3 lived for very long time without any major changes in its core language and objects. Microsoft took care of language design and architecture, and making sure code running will keep backward compatible for very long time, meaning any app that is built upon it can last much longer than single web server or OS versions.

PHP evolves (or actually patched, bugfixed and improved between 5.x versions, which holds major changes you would expect from major versions 5.0-6.0).

If PHP was like ASP, we would be able to release ALL production quality packages a day after the new release, since we would know for sure NOTHING WILL CHANGE and all the bugs are probably closed.

but PHP is community driven, it is much more interesting and dynamic than ASP in nature, has huge amount of libraries to choose from, and also huge amount of testing to make sure new versions are production ready with old code and latest language features.

So, changes and nasty bugs are introduced after several updates to the initial PHP version, which is why no one signs fresh PHP version for production (Linux distros, hosting companies and of course Zend stack) until PHP community has a chance to develop and test new PHP release and close initial nasty bugs and then some.

Zend is part of the community, contributing to PHP fixes and testing new version 5.5 in the next product line.
And I can tell you that it is better to release encoded applications in today's availability of 3 major PHP versions, 5.3 going out with respect, 5.4 stable and 5.5 fresh kid on the block,
in PHP 5.4 and feel safe that your encoded files will not pop all of a sudden on a customer site because they just upgraded the PHP version for some fixes and Guard application just stopped working (they call you angry, not us).

In this moment in time, we have Zend Guard 6 encoding for PHP 5.3 and 5.4 and Zend Server stack to run it after heavily testing in the lab.
When Zend Server is patched with PHP 5.3/5.4, there should be no surprises since it comes out with Guard Loader tested (familiar setup),
so any customer who will update their Zend Server (free or commercial) will still be able to use your encoded app without problems.

Next versions of Zend Studio will be able to develop PHP 5.5 and migrate code from PHP 5.4 (using php.net migration info or manually fixing all the lexical errors).
Next versions of Zend Server will be able to run PHP 5.5 applications and then Guard can be updated with encoder and loader.

Hope this resolve some of your concerns,
again - I'm not product manager and it is only my opinion - I completely respect yours.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby diemuzi on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:31 pm

I also do not wish to argue about this, but getting straight answers is very important, and not passing the problem to someone else. With that said and using the example distro's you mentioned here, we don't use any of those. We find that they are TOO far behind on updates and therefore create major security risks. Instead we use OS's such as ArchLinux and a few others which are kept up-to-date. Our clients we serve are also in this same state of mind and they upgrade when possible to not only resolve security risks, but to begin using the new features which may become available. For those of us who have these types of business relationships, it's very upsetting at the very least to watch a company explain that they cannot update their software because some other random distro doesn't even support your product yet.

I understand that software development takes a while to create, test, and publish. However, it would be nice to see Zend try a bit harder to actually make their customers happy by for example; Supplying us with a beta test of Zend Guard for PHP 5.5 support (just an example to stay on topic here). I'd rather be put into an Alpha/Beta test situation than wait for some random distro 1-2 years later to finally accept that PHP 5.5 is available and recommended to use in production. This way I can at least monitor and participate in the development of these tools we require in order to continue staying in business. Not only would Zend release their products faster, but their customers would be much more involved and in my situation, a lot happier. Instead, as of right now we (we as is many others out there too) are forced to drop their support of Zend for some other 3rd party software which may or may not even be worth it or secure enough (but hey, at least its encoded! feeling).

We also have no reason to use Zend Server.
diemuzi

Next

Return to Zend Guard / Optimizer