Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

General discussion on Zend Guard / Optimizer

Re: Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

Postby mich8790 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:50 am

Hi all,

Just a quick response to some posts to this thread. I am the new GM for Zend development tools, which include Zend Guard. I will make sure to answer your questions on the forum on a regular basis.

Regarding Zend Guard support for PHP 5.5, we are actively working on it. We are especially working on performance. Encoding applications always affect the performance of the protected applications. We'd like to ship a new release soon but so far we have found the performance not to be satisfactory yet. Now, as soon as I'll feel the product is close to be ready, I will post a note on this forum.

Hope this helps,
Michel Gerin
mich8790

Postby diemuzi on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Michel,

Thank you for the update. Can you answer a few questions? I'm only going to stick to PHP / Zend Guard in general here.

1) Can we expect a much better response time to new releases when new versions of PHP are released? IE PHP 5.6 is out and yet there is no loader for 5.5. I understand that there is a time-frame after a new PHP release is out that certain aspects should wait for a new release of a loader however, a year or more is far too long. Personally I'd expect a minimum of three months but no more than 4-5 months until a new guard product should be released.

2) The appearance that the Zend Guard team does not care about it's customer base is very apparent not only based on the responses we see here but also the response time in getting out new releases. What are the chances of at least opening an Alpha/Beta test for new releases? This would at the very least do two things for both sides of this situation. One, it would instill more confidence in the Zend Guard users to see that Zend is actually working on something. Second, it would also provide a lot of useful feedback, extra (free) testing, and in return would also speed up the process of new releases.

3) It has bothered me quite a bit that one of the responses I received long ago was that Zend doesn't release new software because other OS's haven't even gotten the new PHP versions. I'm sorry but honestly, that reply is total crap and unreasonable beyond any argument. Many developers, myself included, don't adhere to their OS release schedule. Being an Archlinux user myself, our OS get's updates on the cutting edge of things and many other OS's are either right there with us or not far behind. There are also users, again like myself, who do not always use the packages supplied and we build from source. We want the new stuff, we want to stay ahead of any security bobbles that may come up from older software, and with that we like to update our software and get that to our clients (encoded). Instead, we are (I won't say forced but it seems that way sometimes) having to wait for an updated encoding software to be released to get our code to our clients. That in return doesn't make it easy for a company to make their clients happy. So my question would be, what is "your" response to this?

~ Sammie
MSF RiderCoach at http://bikertraining.net
diemuzi

Postby oliv2456 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Now it is November 17th 2014 and Zend Guard does still not support PHP 5.5
PHP 5.5.0 was released on 20th of June 2013, that is 17 months ago.
There's hardly any words for this.

We will now start to test ionCube, which fully supports PHP 5.5.
Our patience is at an end.
We will discourage all partners to use any Zend products, as this company seems to have some serious problems.

mich8790 wrote:Regarding Zend Guard support for PHP 5.5, we are actively working on it. We are especially working on performance. Encoding applications always affect the performance of the protected applications. We'd like to ship a new release soon but so far we have found the performance not to be satisfactory yet.
17 months after the release fo PHP 5.5, the company Zend finds out that their Zend Guard product has some perfomrance issues with PHP 5.5. I don't think this needs any further comments, does it?
oliv2456

Postby mark2572 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:56 am

Any news about the PHP 5.5 support?
mark2572

Postby mari675 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 pm

mich8790 wrote:Hi all,

Just a quick response to some posts to this thread. I am the new GM for Zend development tools, which include Zend Guard. I will make sure to answer your questions on the forum on a regular basis.

Regarding Zend Guard support for PHP 5.5, we are actively working on it. We are especially working on performance. Encoding applications always affect the performance of the protected applications. We'd like to ship a new release soon but so far we have found the performance not to be satisfactory yet. Now, as soon as I'll feel the product is close to be ready, I will post a note on this forum.

Hope this helps,
Michel Gerin

I see you're not close... We are buying a product that does not have any support? Give us any f*** update! or this is too hard for you?
mari675

Postby marc1865 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am

Hi,

Do you have an ETA for PHP5.5 support ? The recent release of Suse SLES 12 comes with PHP5.5, so we can not update our OS because of ZendGuard. Without any ETA from your side, we are going to have to switch to an alternative solution.

Regards,

Marc
marc1865

Postby gera8184 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Any news?
It's Q1 2015 now...
gera8184

Postby robe5323 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 am

Michel,

We really need an update on this. Lack of 5.5 support is already a major business problem for us, and 5.6 support is looming as a business problem. We absolutely need to know when 5.5 support is coming, and a 5.6 roadmap -- that doesn't extend out two years -- would be extremely helpful.

I'm astonished at Zend's handling of this. Your decisions affect your customers' livelihoods, and yet you can't even be bothered to get on the forum and respond to users' pleas for information. This, in spite of the fact that the last official response almost three months ago was a promise to be more communicative. Needless to say, this experience will have me carefully reconsidering whether to renew not just our Zend Guard licenses, but our various Zend Studio and high-end Zend Server licenses. We just can't afford to do business this way.
robe5323

Postby gabr6049 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 pm

I agree with diemuzi and oliv2456,

I was instructed to research about Zend Guard and what the impact on our system.

We did use of PHP 5.4 until this year, but because performance is better, we are migrating to PHP 5.6, one version more of 5.5.

But, when I saw this thread, I was totally discouraged to use the Zend Guard.
I going tell to my leader: don't use Zend Guard, because isn't a solution, but a problem, since there isn't any support to PHP 5.5 and even less to PHP 5.6.

This is sad, because I trusted the Zend for a long time, and now, I don't want use any of your products.
gabr6049

Postby editordoo on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:10 pm

This is really unbelivable !!
We were your customers for about 10 years.. but after all this ignorance we are also going for an alternative solution.
On your site you're saying that you have 40.000 customers.. imagine how many you could have If you were more trustworthy.
Shame on you Zend !!
editordoo

PreviousNext

Return to Zend Guard / Optimizer