Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

General discussion on Zend Guard / Optimizer

Re: Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?

Postby john7195 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 am

zvika wrote:ASP 3 lived for very long time without any major changes in its core language and objects. Microsoft took care of language design and architecture, and making sure code running will keep backward compatible for very long time, meaning any app that is built upon it can last much longer than single web server or OS versions.

PHP evolves (or actually patched, bugfixed and improved between 5.x versions, which holds major changes you would expect from major versions 5.0-6.0).
I'm afraid your assertions don't match reality. It was 14 months between the release of ASP 3 and ASP. NET (I can't imagine too much backwards compatibility). It was 15 months between the release of PHP 5.4 and PHP 5.5. Generally, there is a new version of ASP. NET and or a point release of PHP every couple of years or so with various promises of backwards compatibility. PHP always visibly announces and documents an incompatibility list. Microsoft always says everything will continue to work perfectly fine, while burying documents of a much longer list of breaking changes, even when compared to the list of breaking changes in PHP 5.0. Currently, Microsoft is jumping to a full redesign in ASP. NET vNext to be released as ASP. NET MVC 6. Again, I expect quite a lot of breaking changes.
zvika wrote:If PHP was like ASP, we would be able to release ALL production quality packages a day after the new release, since we would know for sure NOTHING WILL CHANGE and all the bugs are probably closed.
Microsoft closing all bugs before release? That's quite the imagination. The news from Microsoft is that even patches for particular versions can break things (sorry I'm not allowed to post links or even ASP. NET without spaces). Generally, I've gotten better support out of widely used open source software than any paid support because allowing people to poke around at the innards creates a larger body of knowledge, and some determined individual is likely to have fought the same battle before I did.
zvika wrote:but PHP is community driven, it is much more interesting and dynamic than ASP in nature, has huge amount of libraries to choose from, and also huge amount of testing to make sure new versions are production ready with old code and latest language features.

So, changes and nasty bugs are introduced after several updates to the initial PHP version, which is why no one signs fresh PHP version for production (Linux distros, hosting companies and of course Zend stack) until PHP community has a chance to develop and test new PHP release and close initial nasty bugs and then some.
So your solution is to only let us run on versions of PHP that don't get bug fixes anymore? Are you secretly hoping that everyone who gets an application encoded with Zend Guard will buy your PHP support?
zvika wrote:And I can tell you that it is better to release encoded applications in today's availability of 3 major PHP versions, 5.3 going out with respect, 5.4 stable and 5.5 fresh kid on the block, in PHP 5.4 and feel safe that your encoded files will not pop all of a sudden on a customer site because they just upgraded the PHP version for some fixes and Guard application just stopped working (they call you angry, not us).
No, now I just get angry phone calls because my support for PHP is too far out of date. They pop because I tried to update the OS to the current version (w/ 5 or 10 years of support) to get required features, and because of that I have to install unsupported packages to downgrade to a version of PHP without official bugfixes. In a few months even the security patches will be left to a couple of maverick companies that require money for support. Break things and dump support sounds like a rotten strategy for application stability.
zvika wrote:Next versions of Zend Studio will be able to develop PHP 5.5 and migrate code from PHP 5.4 (using php. net migration info or manually fixing all the lexical errors).
Next versions of Zend Server will be able to run PHP 5.5 applications and then Guard can be updated with encoder and loader.
Any idea if these rumored next versions will be released before PHP 5.5 is considered deprecated and PHP 5.4 is completely dropped from support, or PHP 7.0 is out? You have 3 months on the first, and 6 months on the second, and 7.5 months on the third.

zvika wrote:Do you feel that you can break Zend Guard encryption because it is not encoding and running under latest PHP 5.5 yet?
Yes!!!!!! Install Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS), SUSE 12 or any supported version of XAMPP, and Zend Guard Loader fails. Sounds like broken security to me. Did you forget about the availability part of security? An encryption system has to decrypt to be considered functioning. Otherwise, I'd just encrypt everything with napalm and call it secure.
zvika wrote:Hi All,
I was authorized to deliver a planned ETA related to your concerns here,
which is early Q4 2014 update for PHP 5.5 support in Zend Guard (encoder and runtime).
It's late Q1 2015. I'm not seeing support yet.

mich8790 wrote:Regarding Zend Guard support for PHP 5.5, we are actively working on it. We are especially working on performance. Encoding applications always affect the performance of the protected applications. We'd like to ship a new release soon but so far we have found the performance not to be satisfactory yet.
Zend considers itself an active part of the PHP development community. The first alpha of PHP 5.5 came out in mid November 2012, so I assume you had some level of involvement: development, making sure its functioning (e.g. testing your product against it, having your name on the PHP engine, etc.), etc.. It took you guys two years to come to this conclusion?! Maybe your company needs to talk more to the creators of the PHP engine and the new OpCache. ;)

At this point I can't imagine a Zend Guard Loader 7 running any worse than Zend Guard Loader 6 does on PHP 5.5. How about a beta release that is slow but functioning, so that customers could at least do some testing or even run applications that produce little load? From the level of complaints, delays, and little feedback, your support for PHP 5.5 is looking fatally flawed. You're not even discussing PHP 5.6 support. Meanwhile, Ubuntu 15.04 will be shipping PHP 5.6, and ionCube PHP Encoder already has a shipping PHP 5.6 solution. Without Zend supporting any vendor recommend solutions outside of their own software and Red Hat, I will keep pestering the company that sends me Zend Guard encrypted code to drop the Zend Guard Loader dependency.
john7195

Postby john7195 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:36 am

Is there a new ETA on an updated Zend Guard Loader that supports PHP 5.5? Waiting until October of 2014 seems a touch insane at this point. I need a product that is still using your eternally outdated junk, and I would be willing to settle for a version with the performance flaws, since it's just for an underused development server.

Your incompetence has cost me about $3,000 worth of extra labor (at current contractor rates) to damage my system (manually downgrade to an unsupported version, and introduce all sorts of maintenance nightmares), and is making it very difficult to bid projects without a working system. Fortunately, I don't have money flying out the window over this, just all my free time and some of my sleep time, but I really have more useful things to do than make up for your lousy development, like seeing my kids for longer than a goodnight hug. It doesn't appear that Zend understands the impact of their horrid release cycle and lousy support. I am currently pleading with your customer to drop you for a competitor because, even if you manage to finally support PHP 5.5, I have no hope of PHP 7.0.0 being supported on time. You do realize that a release candidate of PHP 7.0 is expected in 100 days, don't you?

P.S.
I just want to point out that every day that passes without you releasing SOMETHING that is fully supported makes your company look worse and worse, every day that passes without an updated timeline to expect a new release makes more people assume it is vaporware, and every time you miss or push back an ETA without releasing REALLY good progress information it makes everything Zend says less credible.
john7195

Postby john7195 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:58 am

Can someone from Zend please respond? I'm tired of your horrid update cycle dumping TONS of work in my lap and begging the company requiring me to use your product to dump you! I have a family that I would like to spend some time with, a house that needs fixing and other computer work I'd like to get done. Instead I get to try to clean up after the awful job your development team has done on keeping up with technology. Active support for PHP 5.5 is set to die in less than 3 months, and you're still fumbling around, trying to get something to work with it.
john7195

Postby leon6708 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:54 am

I'm not a developer but one of our vendors is, so I'm signing up just to say ME TOO, your non-existent release schedule and opaque communication is so comically poor that we will actively check in the future to make sure that any PHP products purchased must not use Zend Guard. I totally support developers protecting their code, but you must at a minimum support broadly deployed and mature technology like PHP 5.5, and I have no faith you will be able to do this in the future. Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Zend!
leon6708

Zend Guard 7.0 with php 5.5 + 5.6

Postby zvika on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 am

Dear Guard users and evaluators on this topic,
I'd like to share our ETA for next version so you can have your expectations set.

Zend is working to complete Guard 7 and have a release in the beginning week of April.

Guard 7 will support PHP 5.5+5.6, and encoded PHP applications would be executed on Zend Server with Guard Loader component, and a standalone Loader version for supported platforms with PHP 5.5+5.6.

Support for code migration from older Guard 5.5/6.0, encoding and licensing will be provided on support.zend.com for license holders.
We will continue to assist in this forum regarding runtime questions and problems as needed.

Have a great day!
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby oliv2456 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:32 pm

As mentioned before, we switched to ionCube after waiting a long time - and we are very happy with the switch.

I recommend it to anyone here to simply go the same path.
First of all: you will very likely have the same trouble in 2 years again if you stick to ZEND, since this happens all the time when PHP is updated.
Secondly: Only if a noticable number of people stop using ZEND, maybe the management will realize that they're doing something really wrong.
Last not least: you get a product that is in my eyes even a little bit better, but anyway around 99% identical.

But, if you want to wait for April - sure, go ahead. Some people just have to learn it the hard way. ;-)
oliv2456

Postby zvika on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Thanks for the tips.
April is next week :)
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby pk_fr_pk on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:27 am

Yes! ZendGuard 7.0 is out with php 5.5 & 5.6 support.
No! my ZendGuard Perpetual License does not work anymore with ZendGuard 7.0 .

message is following:
** WARNING **
Working in trial mode - Wrong license version .

perpetual is not so perpetual :o(

php7 is coming on mid october 2015, what about ZendGuard support & license Policy?
pk_fr_pk

Postby zvika on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:54 am

You've bitten us to posting an update, but ETA was achieved and this is not April's Fools joke :)
Perpetual license should work - I sampled this while in beta.
Please work on a support ticket to get this resolved.
Thanks.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Re: Zend Guard 7.0 with php 5.5 + 5.6

Postby jeni9452 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:48 am

Hi Zvika,
I've just installed Zend Server 7. How to install Zend Guard loader on it?

Thank you in advance.
jeni9452

PreviousNext

Return to Zend Guard / Optimizer