PHP 5.6 Support?

General discussion on Zend Guard / Optimizer

PHP 5.6 Support?

Postby john7195 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:06 am

PHP 5.5 is moving out of active support in less than 3 months. When will PHP 5.6 be supported by Zend Guard Loader, if at all?
john7195

Re: PHP 5.6 Support?

Postby zvika on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:39 am

Hi
Guard 7, which is coming up version (hopefully by April) will include support for encoding and running PHP 5.5 and 5.6 code.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby john7195 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 am

You might want to update the "Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?" topic. People there are getting quite angry at your horribly slow release cycles and lack of communication. It has cost me countless hours of sleep trying to get all the features and modules of PHP 5.4 compiled, loaded my server with countless packages and development libraries that were otherwise unneeded, and I can only hope I can clean up the remains of soda damage on a laptop that resulted while working too many hours around Zend's incompetence.

Can I expect this version 7 to run programs encoded with previous versions of Zend Guard, or will I have to wait for the vendor to re-encode?
john7195

Postby zvika on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:41 am

john7195 wrote:You might want to update the "Does Zend Guard 6.0 support php 5.5 ?" topic.

Thanks John - I will look up the topic you mentioned.

john7195 wrote:It has cost me countless hours of sleep trying to get all the features and modules of PHP 5.4 compiled, loaded my server with countless packages and development libraries that were otherwise unneeded, and I can only hope I can clean up the remains of soda damage on a laptop that resulted while working too many hours around Zend's incompetence.

I don't understand your point. Choosing to build your own stack instead of using Zend Server (most compatible stack for running encoded PHP), Distro PHP packages with Guard Loader, or some automated tool for building PHP from sources, is your own decision, we have not forced or willing to force you into hand-crafted PHP compilation to get encoded application runtime for you and your clients.

john7195 wrote:Can I expect this version 7 to run programs encoded with previous versions of Zend Guard, or will I have to wait for the vendor to re-encode?

No. Nothing changed with the need to encode for specific PHP 5.x version and have the correct 5.x runtime. Encoded files behave differently from source files, being encoded and obfuscated, and the source format needs to match the destination Loader revision in order to be executed. This is a matter of security for the PHP entities in the original sources, performance tuning between versions and stability of the source code being validated for PHP 5.x while encoding, which makes less runtime errors which are very hard to debug when you do not have the source (and line indicators) anymore.
So there is, like always, a need to encode a new version / branch of the application for specific PHP 5.5/5.6 with Guard 7 and matching Loader.
The Guard downloads page has Guard Loader standalone for different PHP versions (currently 5.3/5.4), and Zend Server 8 has versions 5.5+5.6 which will get Loader support once Guard 7 is released.

Hope this answers all questions and concerns.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Postby john7195 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:30 am

zvika wrote:I don't understand your point. Choosing to build your own stack instead of using Zend Server (most compatible stack for running encoded PHP), Distro PHP packages with Guard Loader, or some automated tool for building PHP from sources, is your own decision, we have not forced or willing to force you into hand-crafted PHP compilation to get encoded application runtime for you and your clients.

Distro packages for PHP 5.4? They don't exist for Ubuntu 14.04 or SUSE 12, and XAMPP stopped offering PHP 5.4 some time ago (i.e. vulnerable and no security fixes). How do you not keep track of what versions of software are out there, when you're producing code for specific point releases? I should mention that the environment doesn't have any virtualization or available servers to just toss out an older OS and jump through migrating the data and/or connecting all the necessary services across the computers. Distro packages are not an option.

You've killed the free edition of Zend Server, and I'm not about to pay Zend $20 or $80 per month for virtue of being incompetent and not delivering on promises (implied or otherwise). I'm also not to eager to wait on Zend for security and bug fixes after seeing their record on getting updates out for Zend Guard Loader on newer PHP versions. I suppose using Zend Server is an option if you like extortion and lousy support.

Automated tools for building PHP from sources still involves compiling the code, and all the headaches of installing all the dev packages and libraries. It still involves scripting or almost as much manual work to run the configure/compile. It still introduces another slow, unstable workflow into the upgrade process. It still leaves me looking through flags in the original config process, on top of flags for the automated build tools. With phpbrew, which I'm using, it even complicates the process of launching/restarting php-fpm and forces me to learn a non-standard configuration/compilation syntax. In short, automated build tools mean I'm building my own stack, and my only real option is building my own stack. It just a difference of how things are scripted, installed and launched.
john7195

Postby zvika on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi John
For PHP 5.4 disto packages you do not use the latest Distro, by all means.
Guard 7 is out, PHP 5.5+5.6 standalone Loader is out, and we also minimized complexity by testing the Standalone Loader on Zend Server so you can choose freely (and your end users) if to use Zend supported PHP stack or Distro packages for PHP 5.5/5.6 for Guard applications.
Hope you find Guard 7 better and easier than former releases!
Please head to our http://support.zend.com for any technical questions or problems with Guard.
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Return to Zend Guard / Optimizer