Output Encoding: how about Base64 instead of Binary

General discussion on Zend Guard / Optimizer
bpcamac

Output Encoding: how about Base64 instead of Binary

Post by bpcamac » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 pm

I notice that files encoded by ZendGuard state in their header that they are to be treated as binary files when transferring them. Thus, for example, when using FTP, one should use the binary transfer mode as opposed to say ASCII.

I have licensed ZendGuard and use it to encrypt a product that I distribute. However, I am finding that my clients are continually being tripped up by this transfer requirement. They are uploading encrypted files (using modes other than binary) and are getting cryptic (forgive the pun) error messages from the Zend runtime. For many of my clients, they don't even know what binary transfer mode is. Furthermore, there is nothing in the error message to indicate that they have failed to follow those instructions.

I understand that Zend may consider this a "customer" problem - and that customers should be better educated. But until that day happens, may I suggest that ZendGuard consider writing its encoded files using a more portable encoding scheme such as Base64. This would avoid the need for any special transfer modes, yet remains a dense form of encoding.

- Brenton

massimilianoc

Re: Output Encoding: how about Base64 instead of Binary

Post by massimilianoc » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:47 am

The request will be forward to product management.

Though, according to our pluriannual experience with Zend Guard, the problem is not so common as you may think.

Best regards,
Massi.
Best regards,
Massi.

rhsoftware

Post by rhsoftware » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am

bpcamac wrote:I understand that Zend may consider this a "customer" problem - and that customers should be better educated.
They should fire their admin
Since many years i see NO REASON to transfer any file in non-binary-mode with ftp
ASCII is crap even with plaintextfiles if both sides are using different os with different linebreaks - This makes you happy when you get 10 empty lines beetwenn each one

bpcamac

Post by bpcamac » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Actually, that's my point. Most of my clients are doing this themselves and don't have an admin to fire.

Some of them are familiar enough with FTP to understand this but many are not. In fact, some are just non-technical.

Instead of denying that the problem exists (which was the first response to my post above) or shifting the blame to others (the second response to my post), I think Zend could easily resolve this aspect of the product by changing the output encoding to use something that is portable (e.g. base64 encoding).