Zend Optimizer for PHP 5.3

General discussion on Zend Guard / Optimizer
1b1b1b1b1

Re: Zend Optimizer for PHP 5.3

Post by 1b1b1b1b1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 am

Well, this is it guys, I am buying ION for my next project.

btrotter

Post by btrotter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:32 pm

"The ionCube PHP Encoder makes it easy to protect your PHP 4 & 5 source code (up to the PHP 5.2 language)"

I don't see that helping you any.

Source: http://www.ioncube.com/sa_encoder.php

Am I missing something? I'll look at ion if it really does support it.

Further info: http://forum.ioncube.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9112694326

They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouths. Nick from ionCube says: "Zend will no doubt have valid reasons for not releasing support yet for PHP 5.3, but we've had support for encoded files on PHP 5.3 for nearly 9 months now,"

But then says: "However, with people starting to beg, grovel and offer to sell their soul to get their hands on our PHP 5.3 Encoder, how could we not listen and oblige and still get a good nights sleep? So we changed our release strategy for 2010 to make an extra major release ahead of the other changes, which primarily adds the PHP 5.3 Encoder, although there will be a few other odds and ends in there too."

1b1b1b1b1

Post by 1b1b1b1b1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 pm

IonCube loader supports PHP 5.3, I believe.

btrotter

Post by btrotter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:33 pm

1b1b1b1b1 wrote:IonCube loader supports PHP 5.3, I believe.
If you can't encode it, what is there to load? There's a piece of the puzzle I'm missing somewhere.

1b1b1b1b1

Post by 1b1b1b1b1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Their reply

Code: Select all

Yes. We have supported running existing encoded files on PHP 5.3 since September *last year*, and very soon we will be releasing our Encoder for PHP 5.3 as part of our version 7 release. The Encoder for 5.3 itself has been developed and ready for some time, and we're currently finishing documentation changes and a large number of changes to the product release process for the new release. The release is currently expected around the end of September.

btrotter

Post by btrotter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm still not sure I understand what the usefulness of running encoded files on 5.3 is if there's no 5.3 encoder available? Do they mean you can run 5.2 encoded files on a 5.3 server?

1b1b1b1b1

Post by 1b1b1b1b1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Asked Ion, waiting for reply.

btrotter

Post by btrotter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks for doing the research. If nothing else, we'll have a clear picture of who has what capability. If anyone currently has a viable 5.3 security-oriented encoding solution, I'm in.

1b1b1b1b1

Post by 1b1b1b1b1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 am

"Do you mean you can run 5.2 encoded files on a 5.3 server?"

Yes it does! And not only that, you can even run files that were encoded for PHP 4 on PHP 5.2 and 5.3! This may not matter for yourselves as you're only just moving to our solution and perhaps your baseline PHP will be PHP 5.3, but when end users have PHP files produced some years ago, with perhaps no chance of re-encoding them because the source is not available, running files produced for earlier PHP languages on the latest ones can be essential.

We understood the importance of back compatibility right from the outset back in 2002 when we started, and our solution was designed so that as far as possible it would be possible to run files encoded for earlier PHP languages on later versions of PHP. This is non-trivial as the PHP compiler and compiled code have changed over the years, and our Loader component (similar to Zend Optimiser) has in some cases to do on-the-fly code rewriting and patching of earlier style compiled code to make it work, but we invested what in some cases has been significant development effort to make it work because we understand how important this is.

ioncube

Post by ioncube » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm

btrotter wrote:I'm still not sure I understand what the usefulness of running encoded files on 5.3 is if there's no 5.3 encoder available?
The usefulness and issue comes when, for example, a shared host decides to upgrade to PHP 5.3 (without in most cases giving users any option not to be upgraded), and the ability to run previously encoded files on PHP 5.3 determines whether or not a website using encoded files is going to continue to work or immediately and indefinitely be defunct and out of order. For possibly a year or two if not more, most encoded files running on PHP 5.3 will very likely not have been encoded for the new PHP 5.3 language but for the first PHP 5 language or even PHP 4. Some end users who control their own servers will also need to move up to PHP 5.3 for PCI compliance before they have the option to deploy re-encoded files specifically for PHP 5.3.

A further consideration surrounding PHP 5.3 and script updates or re-encoding is that even if a provider of a product switches to provide scripts that are encoded for PHP 5.3, existing end users are not necessarily going to jump at the chance to replace their existing scripts for PHP 5.3 encoded ones. Any change to a live product needs to be considered carefully, and even if there is no direct financial cost to an upgrade, installing any upgrade takes time and therefore a cost, it may require downtime, and it may cause downtime if the upgrade fails. If PHP 5.3 encoded scripts are an actual upgrade to a product (e.g. version 2 to version 3), there is a higher risk of failure and more time required to plan, prepare and perform the upgrade, and it may be more complicated to back out the upgrade if it fails (e.g. a need to revert the database), and will again take more time to plan a backout strategy. So all in all, users updating scripts simply to get ones that are encoded for PHP 5.3 is not going to be a common or popular scenario, hence support for older encoded scripts on PHP 5.3 being essential, and actually far more important then actually being able to encode for PHP 5.3 itself.