Zend Studio crashes setting up Project on Remote Server

General discussion on Zend Studio

Re: Zend Studio crashes setting up Project on Remote Server

Postby brucek2 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Additional Info:

I tried giving the connection manager a higher level directory so the project could include a sub-directory name. Same result.

The hang occurs somewhere within the .git/objects directory. I don't know where since the filename is truncated by the right edge of the dialog and I don't see any way to get the full filename.

On a separate note, why is it analyzing the .git repository? Is it going to do something with it locally?
brucek2

Postby brucek2 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Never mind. The status never updated but after many more minutes of Win7 wheel spinning and "application not responding" notifications, it ended up completing.

In my opinion there's two bugs here:
. The download process needs to comply with whatever the Windows standard is for letting the O/S know its still alive and hasn't crashed. Its probably failing to send or respond to some system API that is supposed to.
. The status line needs to show the end of the file path vs the beginning, or a percentage, or be multi-line, or any other means whereby it can show that progress is in fact happening.

I've already seen that "not responding" system condition again in just several minutes use, while it does eventually return this is not at all a confidence builder.
brucek2

Postby bluelagoon on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 am

I got the same problem, already since version 6 (5.5 was great!). I want to use Zend Studio, but it keeps crashing on this; and worse: you can't cancel it. Tried everything to cancel the project build which was taking ages if it finishes at all. And you can't cancel it because all user actions are queued behind the sync itself... can't stop it, can't delete the project, can't do anything. Close program? Same problem when you start it again.

It's not OS related, I experience the same problem in Windows 7/8 and Max OS X. And the problem already exists since version 6 of Zend Studio! When is this getting fixed? Seriously?

Version 10 Beta? Still the same problem...
bluelagoon

Postby n3rdysouth on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 am

bump... i see several posts with the same problem. talking to other developers, this is a seriously common issue. in fact it's so common that before i can even explain my problem, the programmers I went to ask immediately talked about how crappy zend is about creating new remote projects without freezing.

some of the projects ive tried to import are as small as a few megabytes. others are almost a gig in size. hilariously, the project that was a gig in size imported without a problem. another project that is no more than 2-3mb is freezing. another project that is 50mb imported fine. another one that is 5mb froze.

for the most recent project i attempted to import, the size is a mere 10mb at most. i saw some posts about how zend just "hangs for a bit" and to let it just do its thing and it will unfreeze.. so i decided to take a shot at that. i went to lunch and was gone for almost 2 hours, and still nothing.

i'm on a quad core machine with 8gb ram. your $99 software isn't worth the time it took me to download a trial, so i'm switching back to visual studio which costs $600 instead.

your customer service sucks - out of the dozens of threads ive seen and hundreds of replies discussing how poor your zend studio is, not one reply. kiss a potentially large customer goodbye :)
n3rdysouth

Postby mellinko on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 am

Zend Studio 9 has the same problem. It has been a problem for about at least a year now. I check back every few months to see if creating projects works yet. It hasn't worked since 5.5.

When I create a project from an existing web directory on my local drive it just goes to "Not Responding" after clicking Finish on the project wizard. I tried on a couple desktops and a laptop with no luck.

You can only create blank projects with Zend Studio. You can not use any existing source code or FTP/SSH remote folders. You can't even create a blank project an then add an existing folder to it.
mellinko

Postby kereell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 pm

sylvie6713 wrote:Hi Andrew
What kind of project is it - I mean is it some big project (how big) or just normal, did you try only this one or also different projects cause the same behavior?
What is your OS and version of Studio (build ID)?
BTW how long was it stuck before you decided to kill it?
Thanks

..funny) looks like they heard for first time about such problem (in 2012!!)) I agree with bluelagoon and mellinko - ZendStudio have such problem since v6 on windows or linux (everywhere the same problem).

I deal with it by setting up an empty project, then downloading (with any posible commander or download tool) all needed files from remote into this empty project and finally adding remote support to the project. Then it works fine.

Also it is useful 2 play with choosing different ftp parser on Remote Connection Profile. In my case "org.eclipse.rse.ftp.parser.UnixDefault" works better.

I think default ftp parser is the reason why it works this way.. may be not. But anyway any commander or download tool getting files the way faster than ZendStudio (with any parser)..

... ZendStudio is awesome and still the best adapted IDE to work with php. But this BUG makes life harder((
kereell

Postby alex2454 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 am

I have the same problem. I use the license zend 10
alex2454

Postby marc9582 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 pm

The same problem on 10.0 on both Win7 and OS X
marc9582

Postby mag.2281 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 am

Same problem with the recently purchased version 10.
"select source folder" is always shown - if you get around that bug, the dialog freezes.
the problem persists since version 8 / version 9 and newver was fixed or commented by the Zend team
mag.2281

Postby ilina_s on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi
I'm trying all day to reproduce this on Linux and Windows and no positive results. All remote projects are successful. Please attach a support file if possible (can be done by Help -> Support tool). I'll be very grateful for it. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ilina Stefanova
Zend QA team
ilina_s

PreviousNext

Return to Zend Studio