Opinions on those using ZS 10.6

General discussion on Zend Studio
keef5656

Opinions on those using ZS 10.6

Post by keef5656 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:48 am

Hello,

I am considering using Zend Studio, but I'd like to hear some opinions from the community that are presently using it. I've been unsuccessful in finding any worthwhile in-depth reviews on the product so I'd figured I'd solicit some opinions here.

Currently, I'm learning Symfony2 and not using ZF2 atm or Zend Server. Is Zend Studio more of closed ecosystem more partial towards using Zend products and not that friendly towards other frameworks?

Thanks for your opinions on helping me make an informed decision.

keef5656

Re: Opinions on those using ZS 10.6

Post by keef5656 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 pm

*crickets chirping*
*crickets chirping*

Anyone willing to share their experiences with Zend Studio in general? Pros/Cons?

sprocketlogic

Post by sprocketlogic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

NetBeans has good support for Symfony2 and it's free.

Read though the forums here and you will see that there are a lot of complaints and little help. I was a Zend Studio user for years but they lost me when they went to Eclipse. Save your money and try NetBeans first.

keef5656

Post by keef5656 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:07 pm

sprocketlogic wrote:NetBeans has good support for Symfony2 and it's free.

Read though the forums here and you will see that there are a lot of complaints and little help. I was a Zend Studio user for years but they lost me when they went to Eclipse. Save your money and try NetBeans first.
I've tried the trial version and they don't make it easy for new comers to evaluate their products comparing against PhpStorm where it just works right off the bat. Had issues trying to import over an existing project with errors that weren't explained on how to resolve them, not exactly winning over a new customer.

What are your experiences with ZS when they went to Eclipse if I may ask?

Looking over the forums I see quite a few dormant questions with no answers and expressed frustration, rightfully so.

fragile74

Post by fragile74 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Well,

ZS might have its downfalls, for me as a TYPO3 developer i see 3 clear advantages no other PHP IDE can do on Eclipse level:

- Workspaces support: as a TYPO3 Team lead I often jump in many different projects during the day to help out ppl, in my workspace i got 36 projects which share libraries etc, so this is really cool
- GIT Submodule support: This is where phpStorm fails big time, ZendStudio with eGIT/jGIT plugins integrated does that great
- Remote Upload of files: as I sometimes need a simple "deploy" of files to staging servers, I am very happy with the context menu offering the "upload/download from server" - this easy functionality is NOT a remote project strategy like in phpStorm but a nice time-saver, which lets you do all the work you need for your coding in one IDE