Zend Studio non responsive for up to a minute

General discussion on Zend Studio
clyd9380

Zend Studio non responsive for up to a minute

Post by clyd9380 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Zend Studio version 10 and 11. Windows 7 64-bit
when editing in the JavaScript section zend studio goes non responsive (get the spinning circle) for up to minute after entering an equal sign "=". Anybody have any ideas what is going on or if there is a way to stop it.

kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Re: Zend Studio non responsive for up to a minute

Post by kaloyan_r » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:42 pm

This sounds like performance issue with the JavaScript editor.

Could you attach an example file and instruction to reproduce it?
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team

tedtiger

Post by tedtiger » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:14 pm

I have this behaviour in PHP files, too. Sounds like a general problem in code completion.
This problem exists as long as I can remember using ZS for Eclipse. A file won't help much here. After this short "hiccup" everything is working normal for a while.
Maybe the second time is during switching to an source file of a second or third open project.

kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Post by kaloyan_r » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm

The PHP editor is very different than the JavaScript editor. So, even the issues seem similar, it is very likely that they are different.
A reliable way for reproducing is always helpful for resolving an issue.
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team

tedtiger

Post by tedtiger » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 pm

I know. If there was a reliable way I've already posted it here. Maybe I can generate a stacktrace the next time it happens.

clyd9380

Post by clyd9380 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:53 pm

file name used is equal.php
file contents
<?php
?>
<script type="text/javascript">
var sam = 1;
var jake = 2;
</script>

each time the "=" sign is entered it goes non responsive, spinning circle, at the top i states '(Not Responding) and at the end a window pops up (see attachment). in the past after typing in the "=" I would follow by another key stroke and I never see the attached window. hopefully this helps
Attachments
equal.docx
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Post by kaloyan_r » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for the additional info!

It seems that the problem is caused by the JavaScript code assist and the performance impact is related to the size of the project - I see a large list of code assist suggestions on your screenshot.
There two possible ways to continue investigating the issue:
1) Take a thread dump during the freeze. This will give a snapshot of where the CPU usage is at the time of taking the dump. Sometimes it is enough to find the root cause.
2) Profile Zend Studio with a tool like VisualVM. This is quite more complex to do, but it give a lot of more information for debugging.

Taking a thread dump is something you can do youself. You need a JDK installed. JDK is different than JRE. The JDK comes with some additional tools. The one for taking thread dumps is called jstack. During the freeze you need to execute the following command in a command terminal:

Code: Select all

jstack -l <pid> > dump.txt
<pid> is the process id of Zend Studio.

This command will record the thread dump in a file with name dump.txt. If you can, take several thread dumps, each in a different file, during the freeze. Then attached the dump files here in the forum.

Profiling Zend Studio is quite more complex. This is something we can do, but we need a way to reproduce the freeze. Just with the equal.php file this is not possible. It would be best if you can find an open source project similar to yours where we can reproduce the issue.
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team