UX issue with Dark Theme -- nearly impossible to read text

General discussion on Zend Studio

UX issue with Dark Theme -- nearly impossible to read text

Postby gonemini on Wed May 20, 2015 7:20 pm

Hello ZS dev team -- Not sure if anyone else is having this issue but I've seen it on the Windows side of things -- using Dark theme there is some text that is nearly impossible to read. My monitor is of high quality and is properly calibrated. Plus I have young eyes so I'm guessing that others are experiencing a similar issue. If anyone has a workaround for this I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, a fix to the base theme would be much appreciated!

Environments that I've seen this issue on:
Win 8.1
Mac OS (latest) on a Macbook Pro (2015) 15"

The main issue is that the black text against the dark-gray is difficult to read. I've also seen a white text against a really light gray when de-selected that makes the region difficult to read -- console label when running unit tests or updating composer dependencies

P.S. I've fiddled with the various color settings and I wasn't able to locate where the black text against dark gray BG is set for the file explorer region.
Attachments
Zend Studio 12.5.1 -- nearly impossible to read black text.png
File Explorer area (left side typically)
Zend Studio 12.5.1 -- nearly impossible to read black text.png (12.64 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
gonemini

Re: UX issue with Dark Theme -- nearly impossible to read te

Postby nath9065 on Thu May 21, 2015 12:51 am

The constrast ratio on my monitor makes this completely invisible for me as well. The only way I can see the differences is by selecting all the files to trigger the hover color. This is a problem with the ZS version of the dark theme as the Eclipse dark theme does not have this problem.
nath9065

Postby kaloyan_r on Thu May 21, 2015 7:54 am

We still have not reliable reproduce steps for this issue, so we cannot fix it.

There are two known workarounds:
1. Use a new clear workspace.
2. Change the color settings in preference. Go to Window > Preferences > General > Appearance > Colors and Fonts. Select the Git > Uncommitted Change (Foreground) entry in the list and use the Edit button to change the color to whatever you like.
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team
kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Postby juli3808 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:56 pm

I have the same issue with the dark theme (Window > Appearance > Theme : dark), the folder names are dark blue on black either in the PHP Explorer view or the Navigator view.
juli3808

Postby atti1469 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Change Ignored Resource (Foreground) under GIT
atti1469

Postby phil8959 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Changing the color for "Git -> Uncomitted change (Foreground color)" seems to have no effect on the PHP Explorer pane, but when I changed the color preference for Basic -> Qualifier information color" and the hit the "Apply" button, the changes for "Git -> Uncomitted change (Foreground color)" also showed up.
phil8959

Return to Zend Studio