FTP connection to remote host fails

General discussion on Zend Studio

FTP connection to remote host fails

Postby bobgenis on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:17 pm

I recently upgraded to Zend Studio 13.5 and my FTP connections to remote servers returns an error when trying to upload files or navigate Remote Systems filesystem. My host is an IBM i running V7R1.

When I try to setup the Automatic Upload to the remote system I receive the following error:

Plugin: org.eclipse.rse.ui

Stack Trace: java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:459)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.subsystems.files.ftp.parser.FTPClientConfigFactory.getFTPClientConfig(FTPClientConfigFactory.java:146)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.services.files.ftp.FTPService.connect(FTPService.java:454)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.subsystems.files.ftp.connectorservice.FTPConnectorService.internalConnect(FTPConnectorService.java:129)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.subsystems.files.ftp.connectorservice.FTPConnectorService.internalConnect(FTPConnectorService.java:105)
at org.eclipse.rse.core.subsystems.AbstractConnectorService$1.run(AbstractConnectorService.java:502)
at org.eclipse.rse.core.subsystems.AbstractConnectorService$SafeRunner.run(AbstractConnectorService.java:445)
at org.eclipse.rse.core.subsystems.AbstractConnectorService.connect(AbstractConnectorService.java:509)
at org.eclipse.rse.ui.operations.SystemFetchOperation.ensureConnected(SystemFetchOperation.java:309)
at org.eclipse.rse.ui.operations.SystemFetchOperation.execute(SystemFetchOperation.java:373)
at org.eclipse.rse.ui.operations.SystemFetchOperation.run(SystemFetchOperation.java:182)
at org.eclipse.rse.ui.view.AbstractSystemViewAdapter.fetchDeferredChildren(AbstractSystemViewAdapter.java:2290)
at org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:232)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Session data:
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_77
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation

The Remote console contains:
220-QTCP at <remote host name>
220 Connection will close if idle more than 5 minutes.

USER xxxxx
331 Enter password.

PASS ******
230 xxxxx logged on.

SYST
215 OS/400 is the remote operating system. The TCP/IP version is "V7R1M0".

The same connection worked in 13.0. I have tried to delete the connection and recreate in 13.5 but no success. The FTP server is running on my IBM i. I can connect using SSH to my local IBM i but I do not have access to turn on SSH on the other machines in my environment.

Has anyone seen a similar issue when using FTP connections to remote hosts?
bobgenis

Re: FTP connection to remote host fails

Postby bobgenis on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 pm

Posted a link to this on the Zend Studio for IBM i forum. Since this is IBM i related, solutions/suggestions should probably be posted in that forum.

Here is the link to the other post:

http://forums.zend.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=130778#p260313
bobgenis

Postby kaloyan_r on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 am

The only related change that I can recall between Zend Studio 13.0.1 and 13.5 is that we updated the Apache Commons Net library from version 3.2 to 3.4. This library is responsible for the FTP connections. We included version 3.4 to resolve a performance issue with the FTP transfer when Zend Studio is running on Linux.

I can suggest to try the following workaround:
1. Stop Zend Studio 13.5 if it still running.
2. Delete this file: <Zend_Studio_install_folder>/plugins/org.apache.commons.net_3.4.0.jar
3. Start Zend Studio again.

Zend Studio 13.5 comes with both version 3.2 and 3.4 of the Apache Commons Net library. The highest version is the active instance. So deleting version 3.4 makes version 3.2 active.

Let me know if this helps.
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team
kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Postby bobgenis on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 pm

kayloyan_r,

I deleted the file per your instructions and restarted Zend. I still have an error:

Plugin: com.zend.php.remoteproject.ui

Message: Error occurred while updating resources from project 'XXX'

Stack Trace: org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: null argument:
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isNotNull(Assert.java:85)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isNotNull(Assert.java:73)
at com.zend.php.remoteproject.internal.core.connection.RemoteConnectionRunnable.<init>(RemoteConnectionRunnable.java:35)
at com.zend.php.remoteproject.internal.core.resource.transfer.UploadManager.connect(UploadManager.java:370)
at com.zend.php.remoteproject.core.events.RemoteProjectEvent.resourceChanged(RemoteProjectEvent.java:108)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager$1.run(NotificationManager.java:299)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager.notify(NotificationManager.java:289)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager.broadcastChanges(NotificationManager.java:152)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.broadcastPostChange(Workspace.java:373)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.endOperation(Workspace.java:1470)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:46)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Session Data: eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_60
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -showlocation

When I go to Help; About Zend Studio; "Installation Details"; "Plugin-Ins" tab, I see

The Apache Software Foundation Apache Commons Net 3.4.0 org.apache.commons.net
Eclipse Orbit Apache Commons Net 3.2.v200130514 org.apache.commons.net

I reviewed the installation log and saw that there were still references to 13.0.1 (since I upgraded from that version) and 3.4 still exists in th3 <install dir> for 13.0.1. So I uninstalled both versions, reinstalled 13.5, deleted the 3.4 jar file and restarted.

I went into the Project Properties; Automatic Upload; "Manage", and then "Test Connection". After supplying my password, I received this error:

Plug-In: com.zend.php.remoteproject.ui

Stack Trace: java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:459)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.subsystems.files.ftp.parser.FTPClientConfigFactory.getFTPClientConfig(FTPClientConfigFactory.java:146)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.services.files.ftp.FTPService.connect(FTPService.java:454)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.subsystems.files.ftp.connectorservice.FTPConnectorService.internalConnect(FTPConnectorService.java:129)
at org.eclipse.rse.internal.subsystems.files.ftp.connectorservice.FTPConnectorService.internalConnect(FTPConnectorService.java:105)
at org.eclipse.rse.core.subsystems.AbstractConnectorService$1.run(AbstractConnectorService.java:502)
at org.eclipse.rse.core.subsystems.AbstractConnectorService$SafeRunner.run(AbstractConnectorService.java:445)
at org.eclipse.rse.core.subsystems.AbstractConnectorService.connect(AbstractConnectorService.java:509)
at com.zend.php.remoteproject.internal.ui.connection.TestConnectionRunnableWithProgress.handelTestConnectionEvent(TestConnectionRunnableWithProgress.java:99)
at com.zend.php.remoteproject.internal.ui.connection.TestConnectionRunnableWithProgress.run(TestConnectionRunnableWithProgress.java:60)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)

Of note, I checked the Installation Details again and the org.apache.commons.net 3.4 was no longer listed.

Let me know if there is something else I should try or if you need more information.
bobgenis

Postby chri7719 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:21 am

Having the exact same issue. With ZendStudio 13.5 and AS400 / iSeries / IBMi V7R2M0

Followed the steps and deleted org . apache . commons . net 3.4

Has anyone manage to resolve this issue?
chri7719

Postby kaloyan_r on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:06 am

We were able to reproduce the issue. It will be fixed in the 13.5.1 release, which is scheduled for next week.

Meanwhile, you can apply another workaround - replace the com.zend.php.remoteproject.ibmi plugin with this one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74228612/com.zend.php.remoteproject.ibmi_13.5.0.v20160523-0242.jar
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team
kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Postby chri7719 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:08 pm

@kaloyan_r

Thanks for you feed back. No Joy.

Tried the new .jar, created new WorkSpace and New Local PHP Project.
But lost the "Automatic Upload" option, thus could not test the connection.

To Reproduce:
Right Click Newly Created Project > Properties > "A̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶U̶p̶l̶o̶a̶d̶"

Conclusion:
Will wait for ZendStudio 13.5.1

Regards.
chri7719

Postby kaloyan_r on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:19 pm

One thing I forgot is to tell you to start Zend Studio from Terminal / Command Prompt with the -clean option:
Code: Select all
ZendStudio.exe -clean

This will force re-reading the plugin extensions registry, which is important for the workaround. It is required to do this only once.

You can also test the connection from the Remote Systems view.

I will appreciate if you try once again with the -clean option and let me know the result.
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team
kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager

Postby chri7719 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:30 pm

@kaloyan_r. Sorry Missed your post with regards to "ZendStudio.exe -clean"

Confirm 13.5.1 works.

1) On win uninstalled 13.5
2) Clear Installed 13.5.1
3) Deleted Test Workspaces
4) Followed Instructions @ powerwire . eu/how-to-get-started-with-php-on-power-i to create "Hello World" project
5) JOY.

Thanks for the 13.5.1 patch.

Regards,
Christoff
chri7719

Postby kaloyan_r on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Great! Thank you for confirming.
Kaloyan Raev
Zend Studio Team
kaloyan_r
Zend Product Manager