Display $_POST in variables view

General discussion on Zend Studio

Display $_POST in variables view

Postby caro23 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 am

Hello all,

the $_POST variable (and others) isn't displayed in the variables view of the debug perspective.
How can display the contents of this variable?
(works fine with PDT...)

Thanks in advance,
Caroline
caro23

Re: Display $_POST in variables view

Postby furq on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:42 am

This seems to be a Zend Studio bug, if you've got it enabled it should show up.

I've found that it works initially, then stops working, and then on occasions it comes back only to disappear again..

Get in touch with Zend support, but don't expect a fast response - I still haven't heard a thing back on that issue and that was a couple of weeks ago :S
furq

Postby rbzend on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:51 pm

furq, I think you haven't heard back from us, because you actively refused to be our customer :) Believe me, otherwise you would have the answer by now.

The thing is, we didn't recognize that one obvious change in debugging was confused for a bug by the users. The change is this. During development of Zend Studio 7 the decision was made to restrict the variables list displayed in the Variables view to the current scope (e.g. current function scope). We are convinced that this approach provides better usability and performance of debugging. BTW, this is a standard approach for many IDE products.

To see the global variables (and superglobals) you can switch to a different scope in the call stack of the Debug view (http://files.zend.com/help/Zend-Studio/debug_view.htm).

If you would like to monitor specific variables ($_POST for example, or even $_POST['name']), no matter in which scope you are, please use the Expressions view (http://files.zend.com/help/Zend-Studio/ ... s_view.htm).
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby aimfeld on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:14 am

Dear rbzend

I have tried to "switch to a different scope in the call stack of the Debug view" in Zend Studio 8 to see the superglobals, but I don't see where I can do this. Your mentioned link doesn't seem to work anymore, either. Where can I find this option in Zend Studio 8?

Thanks for your clarifications, Adrian
aimfeld

Postby rbzend on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

I fixed the links in my previous post.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby sing1ejack on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:39 pm

rbzend: I'm afraid that link isn't very helpful. I assume that the little blue stack-shaped icons in the debug window are the various stacks? However I have clicked on each one and the superglobals never come up in the variables window. Can we get another hint?

And as an aside, I really can't get behind the decision to conceal the superglobals. I may not use them on an hourly basis when working on my own code, but I rely heavily on them when I receive a new project or start working with an unfamiliar tool. A good debugger is a top criteria when picking an IDE (and 'intuitive and effortless' is a top criteria when deciding if something is 'good'). Perhaps an on-off toggle button on the variables view would be a 'good' middle ground?
sing1ejack

Return to Zend Studio