Cursor color

General discussion on Zend Studio
jonashh

Cursor color

Post by jonashh » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 pm

I've finally(I think) made the step from 5.5 - And now I've spend 2 hours configuring the colors to match the 5.5 dark theme, only to find that I'm not able to change the cursor/caret color to white, so it's viewable on the dark background.

Is this really so? If so, I think I'm back to 5.5..

sprocketlogic

Re: Cursor color

Post by sprocketlogic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:00 am

I have opened a ticket with support about this. Their initial response was "Zend does not support third-party themes." Except that I used *their* color changing options. They recommended me using another theme with a dark yet not-as-dark background so I can see the cursor.

Apparently Aptana is having the same issue.

Netbeans doesn't. Even though I paid full price for Zend Studio and have found it unusable since they bloated it with Eclipse I think I may be using Netbeans from now on.

jonashh

Post by jonashh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks for your response.

It's disappointing that Zend takes such an arrogant approach to this issue - I don't think were the only developers which likes a dark background, in our editor. Zend as really gone downhill, since they went with Eclipse!

I've tried Aptana as well, and yes they have the same issue, but after a browse at their forum, I saw that a bug report has been filled about that issue, as it were possible in earlier version, and on some windows versions. The problem must be in Eclipse, as all the Eclipse editors I've tried now, doesn't have that feature - which is kinda annoying, as I would like to have build-in support for Mercurial in the editor, and as I can see, it seems like only Eclipse editors support this feature.

Maybe I should take a look at Netbeans.

sprocketlogic

Post by sprocketlogic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 pm

And here is the final "resolution" to the issue:

-------------

Hello Keith,

Thank you for the feedback (and the screen shot), however, this is the only solution that we have at the moment for this issue.

I pass the information to our R&D team leader (just to let you know).

Your feedbacks is very important to us, please feel free to open us a ticket with every feedback that you have.

Thank you,
Emanuel

-------------

What BS. Lose the Eclipse, Zend. Until then Netbeans is a much better (free) option and Komodo is a superior (paid) alternative.

jonashh

Post by jonashh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Well my Zend adventure ends here, just finished setting up Netbeans, and after a couple of entries in the netbeans.conf to make it the right encoding and turning of anti-aliasing(from hell) and installing an ftp plugin, and ofc. settings the colors to my preferences it seems like Netbeans is just what I looked for. It even has build-in support for Mercurial, and ofc. Subversion and CVS.

Even my old Zend 5.5 was buggy on my newly installed Snow Leopard.

Well until Zend drops Eclipse, I don't think I will return.

sprocketlogic

Post by sprocketlogic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:31 pm

How did you turn off anti-aliasing in Netbeans? That has been the one elusive piece for me and I would warmly welcome it.

Same here with ZS 5.5 and Snow Leopard. Apparently if you install Java 1.5 it will work but I'm not backpedaling.

sprocketlogic

Post by sprocketlogic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Nevermind. Found it! (Had to use BBEdit to show that the command had been broken.)

jonashh

Post by jonashh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Glad you figured it out :)