How can I disable the MRU behavior?

General discussion on Zend Studio

How can I disable the MRU behavior?

Postby rsalazarm on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:28 am

Well, as the subject implies.

I'm testing v6 and I've found that it has a "MRU" (Most Recently Used) behavior when changing tabs, and I really hate that. How can I disable it?
rsalazarm

Re: How can I disable the MRU behavior?

Postby massi_zend on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 am

I found a pertinent discussion at this URL:
http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/m91829542.html

Let us know if this help.

Best regards,
Massi.
massi_zend

Postby rsalazarm on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Thank you for the link.

It hints me about problems I don't have yet (because I'm not using ZSE), but it doesn't look good at all. It seems something as basic as putting the tabs where you want them and actually staying there is a major task, which is simply unbelievable.

In ZS 5.x I had to to think carefully on the tab ordering while opening them, but once done they were always there, even through sessions, and I could easy locate the ones I wanted... not anymore, it seems.

I think it'll be a long while before I move to ZSE.
rsalazarm

Postby rbzend on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I mean, most UIs implement it in this way (for example Alt+Tab) and I'm used to it, personally.

BTW, speaking of the UI, there is a very nice Eclipse plug-in that allows for some nice tweaks:
http://andrei.gmxhome.de/skins/index.html
Install it and you'll love it.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby rsalazarm on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:41 am

Yes, many UIs (such as editors and even browsers) implement the MRU behavior, but they also provide a way to disable it and that's what I do because not all of them implement it, but that's a first for Eclipse (congrats), and the same goes for the window showing when ctl+tab'ing (though I haven't tried to disable it). All of this aside from the fact that "because almost everything/everyone else do it" is far from a good reason to expect for me to change my way of working.

Now, the plugin looks promising, I think I'll install it the next time I use ZSE (whenever that might be).

Just wondering... have you received happy notes from Eclipse users to thank you for the migration of ZS? If so, I'd think the amount should by far beat those of us who are not happy with it. Am I right?
rsalazarm

Postby kentatzend on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:39 am

It is always problematic when you ask people to switch IDEs and while we tried to keep some of the Studio flavor in the move to Studio for Eclipse it was still a pretty big change for a lot of people.

Overall the reviews have been positive. A lot of people like the new features and many people like the fact that they can utilize other plug ins from the Eclipse ecosystem. That said, some people are not happy with the move. And we did have a few teething pains with the new technology. I think we're going to address the remaining issues of stability and performance in an upcomming release. We're also working to streamline the out of the box experience for most customers. So hopefully this will let the rest of the people still on Studio 5.5. make the trasintion move over to what Zend feels is a much better IDE overall.

kent
kentatzend

Return to Zend Studio