Buh Bye beast from the black lagoon, Take me back 5.5.0

General discussion on Zend Studio
scotdiddle

Buh Bye beast from the black lagoon, Take me back 5.5.0

Post by scotdiddle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Hello All,

I will be working VERY hard at getting a refund for my non-functioning 9.0 Zend Studio. The help desk said I could talk with tech support about my issues, and they DID call - Once - while I was out to lunch at Dennys'. They promised to call back, but so far, no love. I have called them back and they keep saying: "Later".

Well, here it is "Later" and I still can't use 9.0.

My only hope is that Zend Studio 5.5.0 did not get his punkin' feelings hurt and that he will take me back.

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond

sprocketlogic

Re: Buh Bye beast from the black lagoon, Take me back 5.5.0

Post by sprocketlogic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Thank you for posting this. I, too took the plunge into 9 and immediately regretted doing it.

Every time I try to do something – anything – I am welcomed by some obscure Java error about permissions or null or something. And my topic posted 2 days ago about file locations and Subversion still hasn't been answered.

Before you waste your hard earned dollars on this garbage you should take a good hard look at NetBeans, which is free and does not throw up an error when you try to do anything and doesn't pollute your source folders with invisible files. If you want to pay money for a decent IDE try phpStorm or Komodo, two companies that actually offer support for their products.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:10 pm

I find it interesting that you continually post here that you've abandoned Studio for Netbeans and you encourage everyone else to do so calling our product garbage, etc. But every time we release a new version you always seem to buy the upgrade and then bitch about it here. I guess if you're buying the product you have the right to bitch but ... honestly it's really hard to understand why you continue to "torture" yourself.

diemuzi

Post by diemuzi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:18 am

Curious what problems you are having? Perhaps someone here could help you.
MSF RiderCoach at http://bikertraining.net

sprocketlogic

Post by sprocketlogic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm

kentatzend wrote:I find it interesting that you continually post here that you've abandoned Studio for Netbeans and you encourage everyone else to do so calling our product garbage, etc. But every time we release a new version you always seem to buy the upgrade and then bitch about it here. I guess if you're buying the product you have the right to bitch but ... honestly it's really hard to understand why you continue to "torture" yourself.
My company, by client agreement, is required to keep certain software packages up to date with the latest version. Zend Studio is one of those packages. We do this because our client asks us and pays us to do so.

I appreciate your unhelpful and condescending reply. It will be good documentation to show our client why we should abandon this practice and move to a company that appreciates having us as customers.

Looking at just the first five pages of posts in this forum most of them are addressing something that is broken or not working properly.

Yes, I "bitch" about it because I have to buy it. I expect upgrades to work a little smoother, contain a few neat upgrades or enhancements. And Zend Studio 9 does this in certain areas. But underneath it all is still the same bloated, buggy crap we have dealt with since the jump to Eclipse.

In comparison, NetBeans (free), phpStorm ($199) and Komodo Edit ($249) are not perfect, but when something goes wrong I am treated like a valued customer.

Thank you for making your customers feel valued, Kent. I hope everyone can experience such helpful responses as this.

rhmarlowe

Post by rhmarlowe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Wow! I thought I was alone in thinking ZS/Eclipse is a hairball!
I hung onto ZS5 for as long as I could but it wouldn't recognize some of the keywords related to OOP in PHP or try and catch and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
So I bought ZS7. The learning curve was so steep and the instructions so poor that I never used it but my problems continued so, like a fool and on the recommendation of the Zend sales dept, I compounded the error by purchasing ZS9. Nothing has changed; it's a complex, esoteric, swiss army knife that doesn't seem to perform its basic tasks very well at all.
And the 800+ page User Guide is the punchline to this expensive joke.
I've been jacking around with ZS9 for a week now trying to get back to work on my code and I'm still Eclipsed.