Failed to connect SFTP subsystem

General discussion on Zend Studio
crazymerlin

Failed to connect SFTP subsystem

Post by crazymerlin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:47 am

I was about to come on here a short while ago and mention how I am glad ZS has stabilized with version 9, when I notice there was an update. I dutifully allowed the update, restarted ZS and tried to open my project when I got:
Failed to connect SFTP subsystem: Remote host may not have sftp-server installed : 4: Received message is too long: 458961206

The connection was fine 5 minutes ago before the update.

Annoyed but not put off, I restarted again, and then once more, but with no resolution.
Next I deleted the SSH connection profile, recreated it and tried to connect, but received the same message.
Then I fired up an SSH connection using Putty and realized...I was just able to use Putty to connect to the server, so why could ZS not? So I went to the physical box location and restarted the SSH server.

No, nada, nil and zip.

On the off chance that there may have occurred a networking/pipe related issue, I rebooted the server and my development box.
After they came back up I tried again, but still to no avail.

Oh well, back to faithful old terminal again until I get a valid response.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Paul

ganoro

Re: Failed to connect SFTP subsystem

Post by ganoro » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 am

Did you set the ssh key in your Studio?
If not, go to Preferences, General, Connections, SSH2 and add your key.

Also can you provide more details how do you connect to your machine through putty, so we understand what we are missing?

Obviously we can provide more info about what's happen in these cases.

Enjoy ;)

crazymerlin

Post by crazymerlin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes I already had that set. I removed it and re-added it in case the fingerprint had changed, but still nothing.

As far as putty is concerned, it's just a standard SSH connection on port 22.
One thing I did notice is that I can launch a shell from RSE and it works fine (apart from the bugs in RSE shell, but that's another matter).

I had just updated some packages on the server also, so I rolled everything back via yum history, but still the same issue.

In an attempt at sanity today, I uninstalled ZS and reinstalled from the binary I had before the latest update, but still no go, which is really odd as everything now should be back to the way it was.

What's odd is that this happened after the latest update, and before that everything was working fine. In fact this is the only time that I have ever had this issue with ZS.

Today I removed the connection, created a new workspace and added a connection again, but still the same error message.

The machine I'm connecting to is a Red Hat Enterprise (SE disabled) machine running locally in my office, so on the same subnet as the PC I am developing from.
The machine I'm connecting from is a Windows 8 machine (I'm a beta tester), 64bit.

Thanks,
Paul.

crazymerlin

Post by crazymerlin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:07 pm

[UPDATE]

Just noticed that after switching back to ZS8, I can connect as a project owner but not as root.

This might infer that there is an issue on the box.

rantoine

Post by rantoine » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 am

I was hoping to find an answer here to the very same problem. I have been connecting to a number of machines via ssh and after the latest update I can no longer connect to any of my existing connections. I have removed all connections, re-added them, cleared the known hosts, etc, etc, etc. No luck. I was at the point of uninstalling ZS 9 to see if a reinstall would correct the issue but from what I have read here I don't think I will try that.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

crazymerlin

Post by crazymerlin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Yes, this is pudding me off now. For new projects I have to create a new user on the server.
I will take a really good look at this on a new install of a windows box, this weekend and post my findings.