GIT 100% CPU Usage

General discussion on Zend Studio

Moderator: natalia_b_zend

GIT 100% CPU Usage

Postby diemuzi on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Here are some basic details:

* I just switched from SVN to GIT using the latest build of Zend Studio 9 (Build ID: 20120224)
* Only things I've changed are I've enabled Remote Support via SSH to send the files to the server upon save and enabled GIT on my current project
* I currently have 6 projects, all using GIT and Remote Support

I am using both the regular update site as well as the beta side for receiving updates and all have been installed.

Upon switching over to GIT Support I've noticed a huge slowdown with response to the Zend Studio GUI. So I decided to open the Windows Task Manager and while I'm opening and editing the files my CPU Usage remains around 14% which is normal with my current setup. However, upon clicking on the save icon my CPU Usage goes from 14% to 100% and it sits there for approx 15-30 seconds and then returns to normal. So I testing further by removing GIT Support from one of my projects and opened/edited/saved a file and I found when that project only has Remote Support enabled without GIT Support then my CPU Usage only goes up by 2% which I assume is due to the sending of the file to the server, no biggie. I re-enabled GIT and once again upon a save my CPU is back to 100%.

If I am missing something here can someone please point it out to me. If you need further details let me know and I'll supply them.

I should add that I did not have this issue while using SVN.
MSF RiderCoach at http://bikertraining.net
diemuzi

Re: GIT 100% CPU Usage

Postby vaa03 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:25 am

Hi,
i have a similar problem;

yesterday i updated zend studio 9 at build "20120224" and now i've cpu runs between 90% and 100% !

i tried also to:
close all projects but the main where i'm working
disconnect this project from SVN
clean project
restart zend studio
restart computer

.. but the problem persists.

I'm working on windows 7.

Another clue...
after upgrading studio,
a dialog at the bottom-left corner of the screen, asked me if i'd like send anonymous data to eclipse foundation to improve product developing...
i answered 'YES'.

Bye.
Mirco Vescovi
vaa03

Postby sylvie6713 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi
There was a performance issue with latest build and a patch was prepared. Please check if this solves your issue:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47740218/ZendStudioFeaturePatchesRepository

Instructions:

Regards
Sylvia Tancheva
QA Team, Zend
sylvie6713

Postby deegitalmedia on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Worked for me, i've had the same issues with 9.0.2 on Mac. Finally, my fan is silent again and i can work more than an hour on battery again - thanks!
deegitalmedia

Postby diemuzi on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:15 pm

It seems to of helped a little bit. Upon saving, CPU Usage goes up to 70+% for a second and then reaches 100% and sits there for 5-7 seconds and then returns back to 70+% for another 1-2 seconds and then returns back to normal.
diemuzi

Postby vaa03 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 pm

It works for me (windows 7 - zend studio 9.0.2)
Thank you.

Mirco
vaa03

Ans: GIT 100% CPU Usage

Postby robartgl on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 am

Hi diemuzi,

this one solution for you.

An overloaded CPU can make a PC unbearably slow. If the CPU spikes happen rarely and correct themselves quickly, don't worry about it. But if they keep coming back or don't go away, you have to find out what's wrong and fix it.

The most obvious culprit is a virus, spyware, or some other malicious software. Scan your system regularly with a good spy-catching program such as Lavasoft's Ad-Aware or Patrick M. Kolla's Spybot Search & Destroy. They're free, so why not download and use both of them? Next, update your antivirus definitions and run a full virus scan. Set your antivirus program to check for updates and do a full scan automatically at least once a week.

If virus and spyware scans don't find the problem, it may be due to a malware program that's too new to be caught. More likely, however, is an unintended problem with an honest program.

If your system's CPU spike is constant, the software at fault probably loads when Windows boots. Select Start, Run
, type msconfig, and press Enter. Click the Startup
tab, uncheck suspicious options one at a time, and reboot until the problem stops. Windows 2000 lacks this utility; for this OS, download Startup Control Panel, Mike Lin's free alternative.

If the processor overload occurs intermittently, note what you're doing each time the system slows down: the programs you're running, the Web sites you visited that day, and so on. This information may give you a clue.

In Windows XP and 2000, the Task Manager can show you what's chewing up CPU cycles. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete (in Windows 2000, click Task Manager
). Choose Processes
to see your running programs and subroutines. The CPU column shows the available CPU cycles that each process is running. You can easily find the problem here. The Performance tab shows your CPU usage. Hover the cursor over the Task Manager icon in your system tray to see the current CPU usage in a pop-up window.

Keep the System Idle Process running, even if it's huge. This process shows the percentage of CPU cycles that are not in use, so in this case, the bigger, the better.

Once you've found the processor glutton, get rid of that program. If it's something you can't do without, determine whether an updated version with a bug fix is available, or look for a competing program that does a better job.

Thanks See if this helps
robartgl

Postby diemuzi on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:00 pm

@robartgl I think I was quite specific that the problem was related to only Zend Studio and only upon saving content. Spikes only happen at this exact time. As in my update, the spikes do not happen as bad as they once had before applying the patch. Since this was already honored by Zend that they do in fact have a specific problem with performance this pretty much answers my situation. Although the patch isn't perfect, it's better than nothing at this point and by far much more bearable.

And to downplay your random virus / malware idea... this did not happen until the recent upgrade. Therefore jumping to the default "omg it's a virus" answer, really does not apply here. Thanks though =)
diemuzi

Postby roomneedscleaning on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:36 am

I have 9.0.2 + Git as well and see the same 90%-100% CPU usage.

The DropBox link is no longer active. Where can I obtain the patch?
roomneedscleaning

Postby sylvie6713 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 am

The DropBox link is no longer active. Where can I obtain the patch?

I'll check for a solution and come back to you.
Sylvia Tancheva
QA Team, Zend
sylvie6713

Next

Return to Zend Studio