ZendStudio for Eclipse dog slow on MacOS

General discussion on Zend Studio
conradv

ZendStudio for Eclipse dog slow on MacOS

Post by conradv » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Has anyone encounted ZendStudio running like a snail on Mac OS X?

Periodically, when I highlight text with the mouse, ZendStudio starts to hang for 1-2 minutes. CPU goes through the roof. It is definitely linked to copy and paste functionality in my scenario.

Any shared experiences and solutions would be appreciated.

sprocketlogic

Re: ZendStudio for Eclipse dog slow on MacOS

Post by sprocketlogic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:46 am

YES. It is unusable on the Mac.

I have installed it on an Eee PC 900 running Ubuntu and it is running fine. But you are correct about it running slow, hanging, background tasks never completing.

Considering it is 300+ MB (twice the size of 5.5) what do you expect? Dumping the Zend Studio technology into the bloatware that is Eclipse doesn't make things better.

Sorry to break it to you but 5.5 is much better on the Mac. If you bought it for version 6 then I'm sorry. Aptana is much better at this point. And free.

hornjef

Post by hornjef » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 am

I have no noticeable performance issues with ZSE running on my Mac. Eclipse is definitely much slower compared to IDE's like Visual Studio. However, I've been using ZSE for a couple months now and it has performed nicely. We currently have 4 developers, all on Macbooks, all developing applications using Zend Studio and no one is complaining of any issues.

Jeff

gelierb

Post by gelierb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:20 am

So bare with me and please excuse my ignorance and hijack of this thread.

I've been thinking of buying Studio for Eclipse, trying to get into the Zend Framework a little and I would only be using it on my Macs (maybe occasional Boot Camp XP if cross-installed is allowed).

1) If I purchase only 1 license, can I install on my MacBook Pro and also on my desktop (Mac Pro) without any problems? I now work on the laptop and the desktop - using an svn repository on the desktop to sync projects.

2) I'm assuming Studio will offer many advantages just as an editor - even if I don't really get deep in the Application/Object/Framework stuff (for example I now use the Dreamweaver editor and BBEdit for PHP)? Can I mix editors/environments if I'm not doing the full blown application/framework thing?

3) Can these applications be readily deployed to common hosting environments (Verio, Go Daddy, etc.). In other words, there's more to worry about than just PHP 5/6 being installed - right? I think I saw something somewhere about Dreamhost being compatible...

4) How does all this fit/work together in something like a Drupal/Joomla CMS environments - or is that apples/oranges?

5) Is Studio really "unusable" on the Mac? The trials I've downloaded seem kind of Java-doggy but still OK. But I'm not doing anything very sophisticated.

Sorry for all the off-the-wall questions - thanks for any feedback.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 pm

Ok so why hijack thread when you can easily create your own ;-)

Officially Zend Studio is license to a single user on a Single machine. Practically as long as it is running on olny one machine at a time it will probably work.

You can mix whatever tools you see fit but once you start using Studio you may never go back. Things like code completion get addictive.

The applicaiton are PHP code so deploy where you will. How that will work with your Joomla/Drupla has a lot to do with what you are doing.

Studio does work find on the Mac. For most people than have complained the problems can usually be trace to a few setup issues.

eemerge

Post by eemerge » Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Got the same performance issues with ZS6...actually , it takes about 1 second for each character that i type on the keyboard to show in the editor window..Tried all versions from 6.0.0 to 6.0.2 , impossible to do any coding on that. 5.5 works like a charm.