View code changes with SVN and remote server

General discussion on Zend Studio
spl_systems

View code changes with SVN and remote server

Post by spl_systems » Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi
We did buy two Zend Studio licenses in the aim or raising productivity and to introduce SVN as well.
Our Development servers are located online and we can not host them locally due to NDA and other reasons. Hosting the code on local WAMP servers on the computers of the developers is also not an option as the code needs to connect to DBs that are online and can only be accessed from the Web Development Server.

Having said that the situation is as follows, we have a Linux server with Apache/PHP and SVN repos running. Our developers up to now were developing directly on the code within the Apache Vhost Path without SVN and viewed the outcome of their work directly in their Browsers.
Now with Zend Studio, I did setup a SVN repo of the code and I did check out one copy of the code and used it for the vhost directory to be displayed in the browser of the developers and I checked out a copy of the repo to a developers computer. The problem is that if the developer codes using SVN and commits he wont be able to see the changes online as the vhost copy is of an older version, and if he develops directly on the code online I loose the benefits of having SVN.
Is there a workaround for this, someone suggested using Mercurial but I am not sure Zend Studio supports it.
Please advice.

jacek-p

Re: View code changes with SVN and remote server

Post by jacek-p » Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

hi,
so are you asking how content should be transferred from SVN repository to Apache vhost dir?

What I found is people tend to automate this on the server side, rather than in IDE. They usually either put SVN repository directly under Apache vhost dir, or regularly copy from SVN repo to vhost dir (e.g. every 10 minutes by using crontab), or copy manually from time to time.

Zend Studio doesn't have any special support for keeping remote server and SVN in sync. Studio does support automatic sync between local copy and remote server but that's obviously not what you're asking about.

jaimz

Post by jaimz » Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 pm

search google for "post commit hook publish" that should answer some questions.

spl_systems

Post by spl_systems » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 am

Jacek-p thanks for your reply, with web devs every 10 minutes wont work as they have to see the changes instantaneously, local vs remote server sync means I will loose benefits of SVN, thanks again for the input
Jaimz- Will check that out

Thanks again !