Too much indexing

General discussion on Zend Studio

Moderator: natalia_b_zend

Too much indexing

Postby crazymerlin on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm

I am really getting tired of system lack in Studio and noticed that whenever the system is playing catch-up with my keystrokes, DLTK indexing is going on.
Everytime I open my project it runs...why? I have "Build Automatically" on, yet at least 3 times a day the workspace is built from scratch and the indexer runs through my files, of which there are close to a thousand php files in the project.

Working whilst the indexing is going on is impossible which means I have to wait till it is done to start work in the morning. I have tried cancelling it but it just comes back a few seconds later.

S.A.D. = Slow Ass Development
crazymerlin

Re: Too much indexing

Postby blaufalke on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 am

I agree.

Studio 7.1.2 tends to (= not always, not predictable, often) rebuild my workspace when hit <ctrl-S> to save a file. I have to wait several minutes then, until my changes are written to disk and I am able to proceed working. "Several minutes" means: sometimes it completes in a few seconds, sometimes I kill the ZendStudio-process from the commandline after 10-20 minutes (loosing my recent changes however, for Studio preferred to rebuild the workspace rather than saving my changes to disk).

I really have learned to hate the 'Building workspace: (15%)'-message in the status-bar and this window saying "The user operation is waiting for 'Building workspace' to complete".

Unacceptable.
blaufalke

Postby wangqs on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 am

A work around is disable the auto-build view the project main menu. I hate auto-build my self.
wangqs

Postby crazymerlin on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:29 am

Building and indexing are different things.
crazymerlin

Postby crazymerlin on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:35 am

blaufalke wrote:I agree.

Studio 7.1.2 tends to (= not always, not predictable, often) rebuild my workspace when hit <ctrl-S> to save a file. I have to wait several minutes then, until my changes are written to disk and I am able to proceed working. "Several minutes" means: sometimes it completes in a few seconds, sometimes I kill the ZendStudio-process from the commandline after 10-20 minutes (loosing my recent changes however, for Studio preferred to rebuild the workspace rather than saving my changes to disk).

I really have learned to hate the 'Building workspace: (15%)'-message in the status-bar and this window saying "The user operation is waiting for 'Building workspace' to complete".

Unacceptable.

Totally with you there. And the most annoying thing about that, and something I cannot believe doesn't work, is when you try to cancel the workspace building and nothing happens. I had studio up to 700+ meg the other day with just one project open and 4 files open.

Zend CLEARLY don't give a xxxx about us any more. They know that all the other IDEs out there for PHP are just as bad or worse, so they will do what the hell they like. I will continue to use your product for now, but seriously Zend, you are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Wholly unprofessional, and not customer based at all. And I have to say I actually personally hate you.

Zend: Zero education, no discussion.
crazymerlin

Postby blaufalke on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 am

crazymerlin wrote:And I have to say I actually personally hate you.

Alas I am not with you at this point, Merlin.
blaufalke

Postby crazymerlin on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

I have been dealing with Zend for the last 5 years and I was completely happy with them until they moved onto the Eclipse platform. As soon as they did Studio became a worthless POS.
Version 5.5 had some bugs but it was solid. It was PHP, JS, HTML and SQL and that's all it needed to be. Now with all this added crap that is in Eclipse it simply does not work anymore.
I just fired it up now, v7.1.2 and all my PHP built-in functions are not recognized by the editor. I mean seriously? This is a PHP IDE.

Studio just does not work, and there are so many problems with it that I am afraid it will never work again.

I say fire the lead developer and his manager.
crazymerlin

Postby thom- on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 am

You're right. I've never been so dissapointed of a product like this. So many bugs cause 100% cpu load and no feedback from Zend. We've buyed Zend Studio with a 1 year support contract. I've had two tickets pending and no one got solved. A few days after the year I tried to get a Information about the 100% cpu load, but they said that I have to buy another support subscription.
Zend first you have to show that your support is worth the price and then the users might pay for your so called support.

Zend? No more.
thom-

DLTK Indexing plugin bug.

Postby crazymerlin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:36 pm

OK, to stop the indexing I disabled the DLTK plugin on startup using the option under "General > Startup & Shutdown", and when I open a project DLTK indexer still start and causes my system to lag while it does it's just.

Can you please confirm that the off switch does or does not work?
crazymerlin

Possibly found the slow problem!

Postby crazymerlin on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:40 pm

To test this issue further, I have 2 projects set up the same way: imported as remote server projects.
On one I have the DLTK indexing on, and on the other I have it off.
The project without it on runs smoothly all day long, virtually no issues at all.
The project with it on is so slow I can go make coffee, come back and my file still hasn't saved. This project also takes at least 3 seconds just to switch between views in the interface.

I am not done testing yet but I believe that DLTK indexing is the problem.
crazymerlin

Next

Return to Zend Studio