Too much indexing

General discussion on Zend Studio
beach_defender

Re: Too much indexing

Post by beach_defender » Sun May 16, 2010 7:39 am

Just follow up my last post:

I just decided to look at the 'properties' of one of my project (currently only 3, often up to 10),

In the middle of looking I get this weird error "The currently displayed page contains invalid values" (see attached).

This is production quality? Really?

Seems we are on our way to a new IDE.
Attachments
ZDE_wtf.png
Error on project Properties
ZDE_wtf.png (95.12 KiB) Viewed 13360 times

beach_defender

Post by beach_defender » Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 am

Hi again,
It seems that this has really hit a chord with me, because I thought "If this indexing is so important, then I'd best look in the help for it.

See attached - I tried "DLTK" - No results

I am missing something, but what is it?

If this indexing is so important you have to struggle to turn it off, why not explain it in the help?

This is ridiculous, licensing doesn't work any mote and they've turned ZDE into a dog.
Attachments
ZDE_help_DLTK_wtf.png
help on DLTK
ZDE_help_DLTK_wtf.png (119.02 KiB) Viewed 6656 times

mmmshuddup

Post by mmmshuddup » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 am

crazymerlin wrote:
blaufalke wrote:I agree.

Studio 7.1.2 tends to (= not always, not predictable, often) rebuild my workspace when hit <ctrl-S> to save a file. I have to wait several minutes then, until my changes are written to disk and I am able to proceed working. "Several minutes" means: sometimes it completes in a few seconds, sometimes I kill the ZendStudio-process from the commandline after 10-20 minutes (loosing my recent changes however, for Studio preferred to rebuild the workspace rather than saving my changes to disk).

I really have learned to hate the 'Building workspace: (15%)'-message in the status-bar and this window saying "The user operation is waiting for 'Building workspace' to complete".

Unacceptable.
Totally with you there. And the most annoying thing about that, and something I cannot believe doesn't work, is when you try to cancel the workspace building and nothing happens. I had studio up to 700+ meg the other day with just one project open and 4 files open.

Zend CLEARLY don't give a xxxx about us any more. They know that all the other IDEs out there for PHP are just as bad or worse, so they will do what the hell they like. I will continue to use your product for now, but seriously Zend, you are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Wholly unprofessional, and not customer based at all. And I have to say I actually personally hate you.

Zend: Zero education, no discussion.
You can't point the finger at someone for being "unprofessional" and cuss at the same time. I don't even know what to say about your ridiculous acronym for Zend.. Besides the fact that it's dimwitted, it's completely silly. You can't truly blame Zend for the behavior of core Eclipse code which is the real culprit here. That's not the say Eclipse is weak, though. Zend is trying to provide a robust IDE which helps persist the environment of probably the most popular open source IDE out there you dunce. It will take some work to perfect.

daveyand

Post by daveyand » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:46 pm

So is this an Exclipse problem or is this a problem with Zend Studio? Is zend studio 8 better than zend studio 7.x.x?

I'm starting to get exasperatted with the constant need to index. It seems every time i save my file it needs to index. More annoyingly is that you cant seem to change what it can index, for example, to me it makes sense to only index the .php files. Especially when, on my dev machine, i have 10k+ cache files, which zend just has to index doesnt it.

I pressed CTRL+S @ 15:20 it's now 15:44 and it's still indexing and building.

I'm going to throw a ticket at Zend now and get back to you with what they say, there much be a solution to this, i didnt pay $400 to spend most of my time fearful for my life to save the project i'm currently working on, only to have ZS take 100% cpu, 800Meg and hang there for almost 30 minutes.

It's now: 15:46 and still no joy. I might post up when my studio becomes available.

daveyand

Post by daveyand » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:03 pm

I have just asked support the following:

title: Constant Reindexing and Rebuilding Index is frustrating
Message: I've been using ZendStudio for a while now and this issue has been happening ever since i installed the application. Although before it was never an issue as the reindexing only happened intermittantly and not for very long either.

Recently i started working on a project that required mobile detection. To achieve this i followed a tutorial on the Zend Framework site that said i should use a tool called WURFL.

The 'problem' with WURFL is that it creates an enormous amount of cache files, in the region of '000+. this in itself isnt an issue the side effect of using WURFL though is that now the reindexing and rebuilding of the project within ZendStudio happens much more frequently and for much longer. Now it seems that each time i save the project DLTK starts up and i'm unable to shut it down.

Zend studio now takes ~100% CPU and 600MB ram when this happens.

My recent save attempt started @15:20 it is now 15:57 and the re-indexing hasnt completed.

Joy, 15:58 and it's finished! That's 38 minutes.

Any help, advice, tips would be awesome. I'm aiming to find out how i can choose what is indexed, i'd like to not index certain directories.

Can you please tell me if this is an eclipse problem or if it's a Zend Studio problem.

Thanks

==============

I will let you know if and when i hear anything

daveyand

Post by daveyand » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 am

Just as an FYI i have just recieved this reply from Zend about my ticket:

1. The following KB article will provide you very important tips that my assist you to solve the issue:
http://kb.zend.com/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=480

2. Consider to using our latest version of Zend Studio which is Zend Studio 8.0.
Zend Studio 8.0 is much faster and work much more smoothly than Zend Studio 7.x.

daveyand

Post by daveyand » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 pm

unbelievable, the support ticket i created has now been closed, it's not even resolved.

crazymerlin

Post by crazymerlin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 pm

mmmshuddup wrote:You can't truly blame Zend for the behavior of core Eclipse code which is the real culprit here. That's not the say Eclipse is weak, though. Zend is trying to provide a robust IDE which helps persist the environment of probably the most popular open source IDE out there you dunce. It will take some work to perfect.
Actually, the issue is not an eclipse issue at all as I have looked at multiple platforms that use the base of eclipse and they do not have the problem. Adobe Flash Builder for example is also built on the eclipse platform and works almost flawlessly. I have used it since it hit the market and am currently reviewing the prerelease for version 4.5.

The issue is not strictly a software issue either, it is a loss of productivity issue around the lack of communication between Zend and the companies/developers using their software. Basically, if you don't pay the premium for support you get very few answers, and have to wait an awful long time for the ones you do get.

Zend are not just losing credibility because of their software, but because of their business model.

That said, ZS8 is far better than ZS7 and addresses some of the issues. Some though, not all. The DLTK issue is still there and very much in the forefront, trying to re-index every file on the build path every time a project is opened and many times during development.

This issue makes the software unusable for a period of time, and while it supplies a "Cancel" feature, that never works and actually crashes the application more than half the time.
The bottom line, as expressed almost exclusively by the developers I've talked to is that Zend Studio is the best of the bunch, but nowhere near production quality unless you turn off all of the language features.

So lets be clear, I will reiterate: The issue is not strictly a software issue either, it is a loss of productivity issue around the lack of communication between Zend and the companies/developers using their software.

józ9519

Post by józ9519 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Not sure if it helps from this far away, but maybe helps in some cases.
I experienced the same problem with ZS 10.5 (windows) DLTK indexing like forever. It turned out that the problem was that an other ZendStudio process was running in the background. When I killed that obsolate process and restarted the real/used one, DLTK completed in seconds. So the problem must had been that the old ZS process blocked/locked/throttled the database files.

I hope it helps somebdy sometime.