FORUM SPAM! PLEASE MODERATE!

General discussion on Zend Studio
garethdart

FORUM SPAM! PLEASE MODERATE!

Post by garethdart » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 am

I'm seeing a LOT of spam posts on here. Since I come here for technical advice on my PHP IDE and not to get links to watch TV programmes online, can a mod do some blocking, please?

Ta,

G

garethdart

Re: FORUM SPAM! PLEASE MODERATE!

Post by garethdart » Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 am

...and please note that adding offenders to my foes list does not screen the posts.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

We have done what we can so far ans are looking for alternatives. Unfortunately this is "human bots" (low paid off sohre people who can pass flood levels, captcha, etc.).

garethdart

Post by garethdart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 am

You seem to have sorted it though. Thanks guys.

G

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:57 pm

We're doing the best we can ... Why people think that spamming movies and shows here is going to really work is beyond me but .....

bobbywires

Post by bobbywires » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 pm

I don't know about phpBB but I admin a Gamers Forum using SMF and the Stop Spammer Mod which really does a good job of filtering out the Bots
Admin should have the authority to delete these Spam posts

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm

The problem is that it's not Bots but low paid off-shore workers. We do have one issue with our banning mechanisms that we are trying to resolve but we do try as much as we can to stay on top of this. If PHP were not so popular this wouldn't be such an attractive forum ...

pixel001

Post by pixel001 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 pm

You should implement the Q&A captcha. this blocks most spammers.

You're possibly losing customers because of this issue. please take it serious.
phpbb wrote:Q&A CAPTCHA
At this time, the Q&A CAPTCHA plugin seems to be the most effective single solution against spambots (and some human spammers). For this technique to be effective, you must use simple but non-obvious question and answer combinations. For instance, "What programming language is phpBB written in?" is an effective question, while "What colour is the sky?" or "2+2 = ?" are not. These questions are particularly effective on niche forums where one can ask a question that is not immediately obvious to the general populace.

Also very effective are questions of the type:

Q: What are the first three and last three characters of r7Yc3!0oPp ?
A: r7YoPp

To enable the Q&A CAPTCHA, browse to Spambot countermeasures on the General tab of the ACP, then select "Q&A" under "Installed Plugins". Select "Configure", setup your question and answer pairs, then submit the forum. Notice you may need separate Q&As for each language you use.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 am

As stated before, this is NOT spam from automated bots. The registration process we have is already complex enough to stop bots. It is spam from the new class of "Human bots" that operate out of low paid company.

alkis

Post by alkis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:37 am

The only solution I can find is having people check the messages for spam and delete them.

I reported lots of spam messages yesterday, and they are still on the forum! At least you can check the reports!

And now they are putting titles copied from real threads!! If it continues like that, this forum will turn useless.