EGit + GitHub issues

General discussion on Zend Studio

Moderator: natalia_b_zend

EGit + GitHub issues

Postby rchouinard on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 pm

I maintain a number of projects on github, so I was very happy to see github support in Zend Studio 9. The bundled egit plugin seems to work pretty well, I'm able to work with my repositories easily without having to drop to shell very often (I still prefer to merge manually).

Every so often, I run into problems with my remote repository on github. From time to time, users are unable to update or create new clones, because git says my most recent commit ref doesn't exist. I've had to have github staff fix my repositories a number of times. Most recently, I asked the staffer to elaborate on exactly what the issue was instead of just telling me it's fixed and closing the issue.

It seems the egit is integrated with another tool called gerrit. This integration causes certain extra refs to be stored with the repository, and when those refs are pushed it breaks the remote until those refs are deleted. I did some digging and found that gerrit is a code review platform. While it looks like it could be very nice in some cases, I don't want to use it, and it's breaking my repositories and causing me a lot of lost time on a very frequent basis.

So Zend, how do I disable this gerrit crap and why is it enabled to begin with? Can this be fixed, or is the ZS9 github integration completely useless for me?

I use Zend Studio 9.0.3 on Windows 7 x64. I keep it up-to-date, and I'm using the git/github integration provided by Zend. I do not have any third-party extensions installed other than a couple that Zend lists on the Welcome screen.
rchouinard

Re: EGit + GitHub issues

Postby natalia_b_zend on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Indeed, Gerrit is integrated and shipped together with EGit feature. Currently there is no way to disable Gerrit from within Zend Studio.
Would you mind opening a bug against EGit product: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug ... oduct=EGit providing details about your case with incorrect refs being pushed?

Here is related request that Gerrit should be separated form Egit: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=347077

Thanks for reporting this.
Natalia Bartol
Zend Studio Team
natalia_b_zend

Return to Zend Studio