Word Wrap: Free Aptana (Eclipse) has it; why not ZSE?

General discussion on Zend Studio
sprocketlogic

Word Wrap: Free Aptana (Eclipse) has it; why not ZSE?

Post by sprocketlogic » Mon May 18, 2009 3:30 am

Aptana (based on Eclipse) has it (and it works well and it is free). NetBeans (open source) is slated to have it in 6.7. Komodo (commercial, cross-platform) has it.

$400 software doesn't have it?

And I don't buy the BS line about Eclipse not putting a priority on it. People want it. Aptana has it. When will Zend Studio for ECLIPSE?

geekyjeff

Re: Word Wrap: Free Aptana (Eclipse) has it; why not ZSE?

Post by geekyjeff » Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 pm

I agree. It's pretty pathetic that they charge what they do and don't add basic features to the product. I put in a ticket about this with Zend and they told me that it would get into the product when the Eclipse community added it. So basically they are saying that they are charging us big $$ and have no control over basic functionality. It's sad really.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Mon May 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Aptana chose to override the entire eclipse editor framework. Zend chose to extend the eclipse framework for Editing. The result is there are some thing we can fix and some thing we cannot. The other result is there are some things that the Studio editors can do that Aptana cannot. It is always a set of trade-offs when you build of top of an infrastructure about what you want to utilize and what you want to override.

geekyjeff

Post by geekyjeff » Tue May 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm sorry. You can say what you want but the bottom line is that your expensive IDE does not have some basic features. Eclipse is an open source project so Zend could, if it wanted to spend the money, develop the features that are missing and contribute them to the project. Please don't bring your excuses.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Wed May 20, 2009 6:07 pm

You are totally right when you say If we wanted to we could spend the money to fix it ourselves and could submit a fix to Eclipse that they might or might not take. Frankly we have limited resources and this is not a high priority for us compared to other features that we are focusing our efforts on. It's not an excuse it is a fact. Aptana chose to spend time on word wrap. We chose to spend time on support for PHP 5.3. The right trade-off ... that depends on your needs. If word wrap is you critical must have feature then Studio may not be the right choice for you.

sn0rcha

Post by sn0rcha » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:00 am

I have no idea why anyone in the year 2009 thinks that an editor without word wrap is a good idea.

Seriously.

I will not be buying this product again.

geekyjeff

Post by geekyjeff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:20 am

Well you see it's like this. Charging $400 for an IDE gives them "Limited" resources so you aint gettin word wrap. I've already sent my $99 to Aptana.

jwmav

Post by jwmav » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 am

free plugin "Virtual Word Wrap"
read about http://ahtik.com/blog/eclipse-word-wrap/
url for update http://ahtik.com/eclipse-update/

chadsmith729

Post by chadsmith729 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:43 am

Hey jwmav - That plugin will break line numbers. Read the docs before you use it. So if you get a syntax error on line 206 you will have to turn off line wrap to find which line that actually is.

Now kentatzend I thought you should be aware that I was in charge of developing a long term solution for getting everyone on the same IDE. We evaluated Zend 6 and 7. We worked with it for 2 weeks, and the number one issue was no word wrap. I had input from 28 developers, and 5 support programmers. We work with big clients, and we had the money to spend. Since it's not a priority to you guys you didn't become a priority to us. You lost out on roughly $13,000. Why? For several reasons. Mainly because word wrap wasn't there, and since it's built on Eclipse it's very slow and hogs resources.

What did we end up going with? Active State's Komodo. It provided everything we were looking for and we couldn't be happier. The only thing that we found was that in Ubuntu it didn't hold the paths correctly for the last file opened. We opened a support ticket and guess what ... pause for effect ... they fixed it! That's right released a patch that fixed the path problem in Ubuntu.

Keep that in mind that because you don't feel it's a priority doesn't mean that it's not an issue. You are losing customers because of this.

I'll see you when I can test Zend Studio 8.
Chad

jabrahams

Post by jabrahams » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 am

I completely agree with Chad.

It is absolutely ridiculous not having word wrap. It is beyond comprehension why "..Aptana chose to spend time on word wrap." and you did not, taking a look at the pain some developers are expressing over the lack of this functionality.

I registered for this forum simply to tell you our organisation, with over 600 employees world wide, having tested several IDE's, were more than willing to take on ZS 7.0, as an upgrade from 5.5, until we actually tested it for a period of time.

To retrain an entire fleet of software developers and their juniors is an expensive and time consuming process. Retraining is an inevitability of the industry, and we stick with what works and what we know for as long as we can, and when the time comes for an update of technology, decisions are NOT made lightly. The decision to discontinue using Zend Studio 5.5 was difficult, but for certain reasons, inevitable. The decision NOT to use 7.* was also NOT taken lightly, and was voted unanimously by those concerned, with the top reason being the word wrap issue.

The other reasons, among others, were:
- Code Completion is delayed too long.
- Can not click and copy/move code by dragging anymore.
- Can not see the name of a function outside of viewing area by clicking on the closing bracket.

Adding to the tally, you have lost approximately another US$80,000 for your efforts, or lack thereof.

Your inability to listen to your customers and the attitude portrayed through this forum, kentatzend, and I quote "..If word wrap is you critical must have feature then Studio may not be the right choice for you." is the final straw in my decision to reccommend to my Directors that we go with ANY of the other IDE's.

If I were to offer you personally $80,000 to include word wrap as standard functionality, i'm sure it could be added within the hour. What a shame.

Sincerely,

J. Abrahams