ZendDebugger causing Apache crashes

General discussion on Zend Studio

ZendDebugger causing Apache crashes

Postby r_honey on Wed May 27, 2009 10:22 am

I downloaded Zend Studio 6.1.1 in the first week of April, almost determined to purchase it, because I had worked with Studio earlier, and was satisfied with it. However, I was not successful in initiating the most important task, the debugger. I wasted in excess of a week trying to get it going, with no results.

Owing to the approaching deadline, I switched to NetBeans IDE with XDebug. Now having the experience of both, I felt Zend Studio could have helped me achieve greater productivity once I get it going.

So, on the first instance of me getting some time, I again downloaded the latest version, 6.1.2. This time, I thought everything was going well, but I again hit a roadblock. Apache is crashing sporadically, and logs show due to ZendDebugger.

I am attaching my php.ini, Apache's error log, output of phpinfo(), and another file .log.
The .log file has been copied from the path:
C:\Users\Rahul Singla\Zend\workspaces\DefaultWorkspace\.metadata

Zend Studio showed me this path when I closed it, saying there has been a problem and I should check this file. The contents of this file are almost meangingless to me.

Please help me resolve this earlier. I believe I am close, and there is something minor that is causing the problem. I am able to initiate a Debug session, breakpoints are hit. But Apache crashes sporadically.
Attachments
183113-log_23-May-2009_07-29-31.zip
(84.85 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
r_honey

Re: ZendDebugger causing Apache crashes

Postby rbzend on Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 am

We cannot start a full-scope investigation of this case, because you don't have a support contract. Anyway, in most cases the result of such an investigation is a problem found in PHP or (rarely) Apache. Usually, a recompilation with different flags or with more recent libraries helps.
That's a foreword :) leading us to my recommendation - installing Zend Server (http://www.zend.com/en/products/server/). In this product we implement all these small bug fixes and compilation tricks that we have learned over years. Of course, installing Zend Server doesn't mean that you have to uninstall XAMPP.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby r_honey on Wed May 27, 2009 3:58 pm

rbzend wrote:installing Zend Server (http://www.zend.com/en/products/server/). In this product we implement all these small bug fixes and compilation tricks that we have learned over years. Of course, installing Zend Server doesn't mean that you have to uninstall XAMPP.

The problem with this approach is most (almost all) Hosting providers use Apache as their Web Server. And you would agree that it is advisable to use the same tools for development as those that would be available for deployment.

A mismatch might cause serious issues during deployment, especially when it relates such an important Component as the web-server. The difference in compilation flags etc. you are talking about might negatively affect the behavior of the PHP application in development & deployment environments.
r_honey

Postby rbzend on Wed May 27, 2009 4:39 pm

I agree, in the ideal case, the development environment should resemble the production one as close as possible. In real life, it is rarely so.
Zend Server does provide Apache, so there shouldn't be a problem. Regarding the compilation options and so on - you usually can't know what is closer to your hosting provider's version - Zend Server or XAMPP. In fact, are there many hosting providers that provide Apache on Windows?
Moreover, Zend Debugger (as well as XDebug) is a component that you probably won't find loaded on a production server, so the problems of a specific WAMP stack with Zend Debugger won't be relevant in any case.

Anyway, as I said, you don't have to uninstall XAMPP, you can even use both simultaneously, just make sure they listen on different ports. You can use Zend Server for debugging and then make sure that everything runs well on XAMPP.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby r_honey on Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 pm

I wanted to disagree with your points, but could not find a reason to do so. Still, I would give one more try for getting it up on Apache. If I fail, I might switch to Zend Server (However, this also makes me feel like being bullied on the part of Zend to switch to their product).
r_honey

Postby rbzend on Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Just for your peace of mind :) - read Zend Server as "another WAMP stack". For example, try Apache from apache.org and PHP from php.net. Install Zend Debugger into it (http://www.zend.com/topics/Zend-Debugge ... -Guide.pdf) and test. This may make the difference.

The reason why I recommend Zend Server - we know it works. And even if it does not, we are interested in fixing it, support contract or not.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby r_honey on Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 am

rbzend wrote:read Zend Server as "another WAMP stack".

So, what that means is that the Zend Server is customized Apache. You are using the core Apache APIs probably enhanced with some of your own. Am I correct??
r_honey

Postby rbzend on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 am

Not exactly. Zend Server is not a web server, it is a bunch of components running on a web server. You may chose to integrate it with your IIS or let it install Apache and integrate with it. Apache is not modified.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Postby r_honey on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanx for clearing that up. So that also means that I can ask the Zend Server setup to integrate itself with the existing installation of Apache on my machine, without requiring to install a fresh one??
r_honey

Postby rbzend on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:28 pm

No, you can't. On Windows it's either the existing IIS or Apache brought by Zend Server. On Linux it's the distribution's Apache.
rbzend
Zend Global Support

Return to Zend Studio