Upgraded to ZS8, where did opening a terminal go?

General discussion on Zend Studio
morgantdenning

Upgraded to ZS8, where did opening a terminal go?

Post by morgantdenning » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Used to be able to expand a remote system and have the options 'Sftp files', 'Ssh shells', and 'Ssh Terminal(?)'. Was this option moved or removed? Was a feature I used a lot, and may need to downgrade to 7 if it was removed.

Thanks

mmmshuddup

Re: Upgraded to ZS8, where did opening a terminal go?

Post by mmmshuddup » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Window -> Show View -> Other...

In the Remote Systems tree you'll see options for remote shell and things like that. I personally opened the Remote Systems view and from within that view you can right-click and then click New Connection. Under the General tree there are options for FTP and SSH. And below that there's VMware.. I created a remote SSH shell by clicking SSH and then within Remote Systems it showed up. From my newly created connection I right-clicked Ssh Shells and clicked connect. I was prompted for user credentials and after I successfully entered them the Remote Shell view automagically opened with my SSH connection all good.

Does that help you at all?

morgantdenning

Post by morgantdenning » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:46 pm

not really. the shells view isn't what i was looking for. there used to be an additional option to open up a terminal window, which functioned just like a terminal in nix (or command prompt on windows)

mmmshuddup

Post by mmmshuddup » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:07 am

morgantdenning wrote:not really. the shells view isn't what i was looking for. there used to be an additional option to open up a terminal window, which functioned just like a terminal in nix (or command prompt on windows)
Ok yeah I took a look at what you were talking about (an old friend still has ZS 6.x) and he was telling me that the "Ssh Terminal" thing was just like being in a REAL terminal.. And you're right, it's not there! Or, at least I haven't found anything like it yet.. Sorry man. Good luck! Hopefully Zend will have some answers for you.

xman2k4

Post by xman2k4 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:23 pm

morgantdenning, do u find terminal window? I can't too..

morgantdenning

Post by morgantdenning » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:17 am

Unfortunately I have not found it yet.

blackdex

Post by blackdex » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Opening a terminal etc.. is a feature of Aptana if i'm correct.
You can see the install instructions here: http://aptana.com/products/studio2/download.

Hope this will help you.

riotrick123

Post by riotrick123 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 am

It is kind of stupid features just get removed in a zend studio upgrade.
The terminal was working fine in zs7 it is just removed in zs8.

Same thing goes for browsing local disks. Local disks would show up in the rse view in zs7. They are just removed in zs8....

/edit:

Why is the word st.upid filtered on the forums?

radiac

Post by radiac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Our company uses ZS7 for our primary editing tool. We were thinking about updating our software to ZS8 because of the jQuery features, however the terminal window is essential to how we operate. Dropping useful features between versions seems like bad business to me. I hope they rethink this and come out with an updated version with the feature included.

ganoro

Post by ganoro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:12 am

You can use the Remote System type update URL: http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates/3.2/
Go to Help > Install new Software > add http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates/3.2/ site and select whatever you ;)

Best regards,
Roy