Difficulties using Zend Debugger (ZS7)

General discussion on Zend Studio
jhsachs

Difficulties using Zend Debugger (ZS7)

Post by jhsachs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:32 pm

This is a continuation of a thread I started about a week ago, titled "Difficulties using the debugger (ZS7)." No one has responded to my last post there, and I have some new findings, so I hope I'll have better luck by starting a new thread.

At this point I have multiple unresolved questions in various contexts, from trying different approaches when one was blocked by a problem I couldn't solve. It makes the situation very complex. I'm going to work backward from my most recent problem, which I encountered at the point where I had made the most progress. This generally puts the problems in order of priority, but I'll welcome solutions to any of them.

1a. I'm trying to use the debugger on my local server (which is how I want to debug most of the time). The debugger's browser (the one that appears in ZS7's PHP Debug perspective) ignores my script's style sheets. What must I do to make it utilize them?

1b. Is it possible to run the debugger and make the output appear in my regular browser? If so, might that solve the style sheet problem?

2. I configured the debugger to "Debug All Pages," but that apparently isn't happening. When I clicked a link on the first page, it should have loaded a second page from the same directory. Instead the debugger stopped with this message:

<terminated, exit value 0>url

where "url" was the entire URL of the initial page. The browser output view contained one line of unformatted text which said

blankxxxx

where "xxxx" represents the href parameter of the link.

What happened here, and how can I fix it?

3. When I installed ZS7 it set the default server configuration to "Local Zend Server(Workspace Default)" at http://localhost:10081. To make the debugger find the server I had to change the URL to http://localhost:80 (as in the example in the documentation). What happened here? Have I corrected a problem, or have I committed a kludge that's likely to replace the immediate problem with another?

4. I was originally trying to debug with ZS7's internal debugger (because that's the only mode of operation that I ever got to work with ZS5, so I thought it would be an easy way to start). My script couldn't run because the debugger (unlike ZS5's debugger) did not simulate Apache's run-time environment correctly: the $_SERVER global was missing some of the elements it should have had, such as HTTP_HOST. Is this a correctable problem?

5. From the beginning of my experience with the Zend Debugger (in ZS5), it has started execution by stepping through an apparently random sequence of non-executable lines before stopping at the first line of PHP code. Why does it do that; is there a way to make it stop?

doogle

Re: Difficulties using Zend Debugger (ZS7)

Post by doogle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 am

I am having very similar problems, however I can debug the first page but not other pages. I have one theory I think I used the Firefox debug tool when I was already inside a debug session within Zend Studio. My thinking is this messed things up royally. I've been down for two days.

-Doug

doogle

Re: Difficulties using Zend Debugger (ZS7)

Post by doogle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:51 am

I figured out the solution to my debugging problem and posted the workflow here.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8356&p=96883#p96883

Good luck to others.

-Doug