Why is PHP hated by so many developers?

General discussion on PHP

Why is PHP hated by so many developers?

Postby swee3875 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm

There are many good reasons to hate PHP, and they run way deeper than some inconsistently named functions with misordered parameters. Learning PHP will actually transform you into a worse programmer, and writing in PHP will leave behind a mess that’s a costly nightmare to maintain and clean up after. Here are my top four reasons.
swee3875

Re: Why is PHP hated by so many developers?

Postby ahma3515 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am

There are many desirable motives to hate PHP, and that they run way deeper than some erratically named features with misordered parameters. Learning PHP will certainly transform you into a worse programmer, and writing in PHP will depart at the back of a multitude that’s a luxurious nightmare to keep and smooth up after. Here are my pinnacle 4 reasons.

PHP encourages an insecure programming style by using layout. Its very syntax encourages you to splice unescaped values without delay into database queries and HTML output without wondering twice, leading to SQL injection and move-web site scripting vulnerabilities. To write any PHP code that isn’t riddled with these security holes, you need to actively work against this by means of carefully sprinkling your code with calls to capabilities with lengthy names like htmlspecialchars() and mysql_real_escape_string() (that’s proper, make certain you operate the real one!*). If you want any safety from pass-web page request forgery assaults, you want to move enforce it yourself.
ahma3515

Postby ahma3515 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:52 am

PHP references are brain-damagingly incorrect. I suggest that actually—I understand from non-public revel in that PHP references will damage your mind in ways with a view to make it tougher which will learn the way references and tips paintings in actual programming languages.
ahma3515

Postby alek76 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Ahma,

When was the last time you looked at the PHP documentation? PHP has improved a lot in the last decade.

Have you seen the new user input filtering extension?

Did you know that you know that all mysql_* functions are now removed in PHP 7? They have been depreciated for years.

It is recommended that we now use MySQLi or PDO instead.

Unfortunately the function names and arguments ordering is still inconsistent and I guess that will always be the case. But it has a bright side - all the legacy code will still work.
alek76

Postby anna8760 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 pm

swee3875 wrote:There are many good reasons to hate PHP, and they run way deeper than some inconsistently named functions with misordered parameters. Learning PHP will actually transform you into a worse programmer, and writing in PHP will leave behind a mess that’s a costly nightmare to maintain and clean up after. Here are my top four reasons.

Overall great points :) Share more info if you have...
anna8760

Postby alex4688 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 am

good article
alex4688

Postby petxi on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello swee3875,

swee3875 wrote:There are many good reasons to hate PHP, and they run way deeper than some inconsistently named functions with misordered parameters. Learning PHP will actually transform you into a worse programmer, and writing in PHP will leave behind a mess that’s a costly nightmare to maintain and clean up after. Here are my top four reasons.

Then I wold like to knnow, in your opinion, what is the programming language beloved by developers ?

I think that every programming language is good at something that another don't

Thanks for your contribution
petxi

Return to PHP