Why is PHP hated by so many developers?

General discussion on PHP
walt6141

Re: Why is PHP hated by so many developers?

Post by walt6141 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 pm

I don`t code in PHP, but all my friends who do it tell that it`s extremely difficult to work with this programming language. And after a lot of similar feedbacks, I do n`t have any desire to start working with it...

moha9378

Post by moha9378 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 am

Can you give me the suggestion how to put php code into open erp software developer code into python for our software odoo customization.

moha9378

Post by moha9378 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 am

emil4700 wrote:Maybe this answer is a little curt, but you might as well ask why anything is hated in software development, usually because of anecdotal experience of bad use of the language, or because of a background that has set in our mind the way things "should" be done.

Ok, I'll elaborate.

In my anecdotal experience people who tend to hate or disparage PHP do so because they are software odoo customization programmers that desire something different to what PHP actually is. It's this notion that because PHP is a programming language that it should be judged on the same standards and capabilities as the C variations. But really this is like being annoyed that squeezing tomatoes over your chips doesn't give you the same tangy taste as using ketchup.

They're both tomato based, but does that mean you should expect the same experience from both?

Developers traditionally love to take sides, especially when inexperienced and trying justify a lack of a skill set (even though being proficient in everything, even just within the web, feels like a tall order to me). The hate may be based around the language, but it is because of their experiences of how others have used PHP, and how hard/frustrating they perceive it to be compared to their language of choice, that causes that hate. They hate the practice, not the architecture.

PHP may be the most accessible server side language on the web, with that it brings inexperienced (but mostly well meaning) coders. It's easy to look down your nose on this, in the same way some might look down on the poor estate in town. As in life, programming language hate (real hate, not just a preference for another way) is just prejudice. I don't hate the mallet because it *could* hammer in a picture hook if I tried, I just recognise it's not the right tool for the job and leave it at that.

There is the charge that PHP aides poor development practices, but I'd like to call xxxx on that. It lets people get away with stuff that works but doesn't fit with the community agreed standards on how code should look, but if people aren't learning "right" way to code, it's because there is almost no formal education process for web server coding! If your view is that the elite and educated developers who know the right way should be the only ones to create for the web, that's fine, but that's not specific to PHP either.

To summarise. Developers hate PHP because they inherit messy work that they don't want to/don't have the time to try to understand, because they would rather the "compiler" makes everything secure and safe, because they think their's is a perfect programming language style and enjoy creating battle lines, and perhaps even because they fear that something they're paid a premium to do could be done by someone who is freelancing from their bedroom in between final exams. Mostly though developers hate PHP because their priorities on what to hate are severely misaligned!
Source - quora by Lee Griffin, Web developer, political opiner

patr4535

Post by patr4535 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 am

Writing programming in PHP is not that easy that most of the people think it requires lots of coding, even a single very small functionality requires a huge amount of coding and that's why PHP hated by so many developers, but yes if you need any kind of PHP programming help you can contact me.

char5879

Post by char5879 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:41 am

Why is there so much hate driven against PHP by developers? I've read a couple of comments now on other sites where people just write about how much they hate PHP. They don't give any specific reason to why they do it, which is quite sad because I'd really like to know.

emil1464

Post by emil1464 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:24 am

Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best

ram4420

Post by ram4420 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Different people have different taste some like php and some do not like.Its not that all developers hate Php.

andr2142

Post by andr2142 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:55 am

Some people like PHP and some people also not like PHP.. so thanks a lot for sharing this great post..

jamesjeans

Post by jamesjeans » Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 am

Why is there so much hate driven against PHP by developers? I've read a couple of comments now on other sites where people just write about how much they hate PHP. They don't give any specific reason to why they do it, which is quite sad because I'd really like to know. https://cosmocarparts.com/brand/toyota/aqua/