General discussion on PHP
asht9478

nodejs

Post by asht9478 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:21 pm

is node.js truly better than PHP

andr8558

Re: nodejs

Post by andr8558 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 pm

I would say depends for what. PHP can actually be very powerful if used for a specific project, just like Node.js

rob6279

Re: nodejs

Post by rob6279 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am

In my view Node is not better than PHP.
PHP is, in fact a much more mature and reliable platform overall. PHP's package manager is arguably one of the best among all programming languages, whereas npm often shows signs of immaturity, like the fact that it took Yarn to happen before adding proper support to lock files and deterministic installs, or the recent version 5.7 which caused ridiculous problems in permission management.
Another argument that I hear a lot about Node is that it's async, so it's better. Well let me tell you, async is great on the front end, where interactions actually happen asynchronously, but on the bac kend the normal flow “request in/response out” is synchronous by nature, so an async language actually only adds complexity in 95% of situations. This is why async/await instructions have been added recently to JS, where (put simply) they basically try to emulate a blocking behavior. Async is perfect in the server implementation (like Express), but in actual apps it is more often than not an annoyance.

Finally, personally I really dislike the “require a package/polyfill for everything” attitude. It's a choice, I guess, but I'd much rather work with a language with batteries included, definition which basically includes most mainstream programming languages out there, except for JavaScript.

Custom essay writing service
Rob Schneider
Essay Champ Services