Building Enterprise Apps

General discussion on PHP
farouqzaib

Building Enterprise Apps

Post by farouqzaib » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:47 am

Hello guys, I am a junior PHP developer waiting for the big transition to "intermediate developer" and I was thinking of writing an enterprise application. I checked source codes from some big time apps like wordpress and sugarCRM and I couldn't understand say half of them. I would really appreciate if anybody could give me a heads up on desgin guidelines and how to structure codes and stuffs like that. I am currently studying, not reading "PHP Objects, Patterns and Practice". Thanks guys.

paulfreeman

Re: Building Enterprise Apps

Post by paulfreeman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 am

With applications like Wordpress, SugarCRM and other open source projects one of the first places to look is how to write plugins for them - That'll introduce you to a new way of working, allow you to leverage existing systems more easily, and looks nice on the CV without having to write a whole new system.

Enterprise Application is a bit of a buzz word and doesn't really mean anything (Technically, any company with more then 500 employees is Enterprise level, but nothing magically happens) and you'd probably be better working on smaller, specific projects you can complete and demonstrate your skills with in isolation. - If you've written the new SugarCRM it's very hard in an interview to fully get across all the features, and the work you've put in. (And you might get bored half way in) So personally I think it's better to pick up something smaller that can use a couple of the areas you want to explore, then finish that and move on to the next thing.

Also, developing is about reusing existing tools for less effort, are you really going to be able to better then SugarCRM? What would be the advantage of investing all that time to produce something nearly as good? - There are times where there is a need, I've worked myself on an internal HR system that was built from the ground up because there was a list of specific requirements that didn't neatly fit with an existing open source project. But unless you have identified a need to drive you, small and concise projects will likely be much more advantageous to you.

farouqzaib

Post by farouqzaib » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks paulfreeman for your time, I will take that into consideration.

s2370

Post by s2370 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:12 am

To add to this. One needs to have a good control on object oriented programming. This is really a must. SugarCRM for instance also has smarty and javascript used apart from PHP

jose5608

Post by jose5608 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 am

I do agree with the above comment saying that their is a need to know about Object Oriented Programming for developing .I have gone through some interesting apps ..Check out these apps that will give you some ideas for developing apps by visiting LOUNGELIZARD website .

prit7450

Post by prit7450 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:13 pm

If you already have an idea of your projects, or you want to create a website from scratch, just contact us. Talk to us and clarify your doubts. We at Enterprise Mobility Software Solutions in India have enough expertise to meet our customer requirements.