Studio Connection To IBM i

General discussion on Zend Studio for IBM System i

Studio Connection To IBM i

Postby formaserve on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:01 am

What are peoples preference in connecting/developing with Studio with the IBMi? Using mapped drives, shares, SSH, FTP, develop on PC & pushing to the i ???

Thoughts appreciated.
formaserve

Re: Studio Connection To IBM i

Postby scottgcampbell on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I have a share setup to the root (/www/zendsvr6/htdocs/) and then have a drive mapped on my PC. For each sub-folder (I have a lot of different sites running) I create a project that has a linked folder to that location. That way any changes I make are immediately available to test. Probably not the recommended setup in all instances but it works great for me. Also have all of the subfolders in SVN so I can track changes, but this wouldn't work for a team of developers without extra coordination.

Are you just trying to determine what would work best for you or just curious what others are doing?

Scott
scottgcampbell

Postby erich_hieden on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 am

We're developing on PC and pushing it to the i using Remote Server Support in Zend Studio. This way it's also possible to use Git (or any other source control).

I did an article on this topic a few years back and I still think this is a great setup and would start using it again.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
erich_hieden

Postby formaserve on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks for the replies.

Just interest on how others were using Studio.

Erich would you still develop on the PC & push, if Git wasn't being used?

Thanks for your opions
formaserve

Postby erich_hieden on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:00 pm

formaserve wrote:[...]
Erich would you still develop on the PC & push, if Git wasn't being used?
[...]

It depends on your circumstances. If you're the sole developer and do not plan on increasing team size, nothing is wrong with developing on PC and pushing it without Git. Otherwise I would only do it if any form of source control (no matter if it's named Git, SVN, ...) is in place, since you need to be able to get the changes of your colleagues somehow to your PC.

All that said, I still wouldn't develop without source control, even if I was the only developer, since you have so many benefits for so little extra work.

Also there's nothing wrong (if wrong even exists in this topic) with Scott's approach. It just isn't feasible for me, as I need to be able to do changes even without having a connection to the server. I know that I'm not able to test the changes, but it's nice to do them, while I'm still at a customer's and then just need to upload them (or the whole project to be sure) when I'm back at my office.
erich_hieden

Return to Zend Studio for IBM i