Version control system on IBM i

General discussion on Zend Studio for IBM System i
erich_hieden
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 am

Version control system on IBM i

Post by erich_hieden » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Maybe it's just me, but how do you setup a version control system (i.e. git or svn) on IBM i? I'm completely stuck here.

jjcllhn
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by jjcllhn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:23 pm

SoftLanding (now part of UNICOM) ported svn 1.4 to the IBM i, but hasn't kept pace with updates. You can grab a version here:
http://www.softlanding.com/Support---Re ... loads.aspx

erich_hieden
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by erich_hieden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for the hint, but starting with a version which already outdated and won't be updated, is something I'd like to avoid. Now I'm trying git on Windows while using the ifs via drive mapping. I know that this isn't the fastest way but atm it's the most promising solution. :-(

User avatar
kentatzend
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by kentatzend » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd use Studio to pull from GIT and then use the Studio Deployment support which will automatically set up support to transfer files to the IFS and Zend Server on every uprate/save (via ssh). Or you can use remote system support directly.

erich_hieden
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by erich_hieden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks Kent for your response.

Maybe my initial request was not clear, or I'm misunderstanding you, but the main problem is that we have to develop on IBM i directly, since we use the Easycom toolkit (and I won't buy a licence to use it on Windows).

Currently I'm reading lots of documentation about git, so maybe I can ask more elaborate question then. ;-)

User avatar
kentatzend
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by kentatzend » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Ok ... So you have a couple of options. First nothing I said ever requires you to run the PHP on Windows. All I'm saying is your IDE runs on windows, the files are extracted form GIT to a local file on windows but they are also pushed initially and on every update to the IFS on the IBM i box to run/test. So it will all work and not requrie any new lcicnse

Or ... you might look into the new toolkit that Zend and IBM have developed. It is 100% open source, the client side is totally PHP and only requires a DB connection (of any kind) so you can actually run everything on Windows with no extra license.

erich_hieden
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by erich_hieden » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:43 am

kentatzend wrote:Ok ... So you have a couple of options. First nothing I said ever requires you to run the PHP on Windows. All I'm saying is your IDE runs on windows, the files are extracted form GIT to a local file on windows but they are also pushed initially and on every update to the IFS on the IBM i box to run/test. So it will all work and not requrie any new lcicnse
Thanks for your answer Kent. Do I understand you right, that I'm able to have the repository on the developer Win-PC and copy the files to the IFS on commit? Or do you mean that I'm having a repository on the developer PC and an additional one on IFS and I do a push? Sorry, but I'm still somehow confused by all the options git offers.
kentatzend wrote:Or ... you might look into the new toolkit that Zend and IBM have developed. It is 100% open source, the client side is totally PHP and only requires a DB connection (of any kind) so you can actually run everything on Windows with no extra license.
Thanks again, but I know about that and am already testing it. I'm also in direct contact with Alan Seiden to smash the last glitches.

User avatar
kentatzend
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by kentatzend » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:16 pm

erich_hieden wrote: Thanks for your answer Kent. Do I understand you right, that I'm able to have the repository on the developer Win-PC and copy the files to the IFS on commit? Or do you mean that I'm having a repository on the developer PC and an additional one on IFS and I do a push? Sorry, but I'm still somehow confused by all the options git offers.
What I'm saying is Studio can automatically push files form your local PC to IFS. So ... you do your GIT (or SVN or CVS) operations form Studio to pull the files to your PC in a project that is mapped to your IBM i IFS and the files will get update on the i Automatically. It will also update them as you edit them.

erich_hieden
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by erich_hieden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:55 am

kentatzend wrote:What I'm saying is Studio can automatically push files form your local PC to IFS. So ... you do your GIT (or SVN or CVS) operations form Studio to pull the files to your PC in a project that is mapped to your IBM i IFS and the files will get update on the i Automatically. It will also update them as you edit them.
Great, this sounds like what I'm looking for. I have downloaded the 30-day trial of ZendStudio 9 (since I already got a licence for ZendStudio 8) yesterday and began experimenting with the git tool. Do you have more documentation of the process you described? Thanks!

jstalnecker
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Version control system on IBM i

Post by jstalnecker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 pm

I am also wondering how this works. Where is the repository set up? on your local PC? How does this work for multiple developers on the same project?

Also if you allow Studio to push you changes to the server on save aren't you bypassing the commit?

Does anyone have more detailed explaination of how to set this up?

Post Reply