Possible issue running stateless?

The place for general PHP questions and hints for PHP on IBM i
brya5265

Possible issue running stateless?

Post by brya5265 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I had been running with one XTOOLKIT job for production and another for test. On occasion (usually after weeks of running) I found I'd start getting errors (PHP timeout's mostly, I think) and if I ended the XTOOLKIT job they'd get started again and everything would start working again.

I tried running the Toolkit in "stateless" mode and have been doing so in test for a couple weeks. I recently moved that change to production. Last night my production instance locked up and I had difficulties getting everything running again. I'd tried restarting ZendServer and the HTTP instance, but to no avail.

In the end, I think it started working because I ended all the SQL server jobs in QSYSWRK and restarted them, then shutdown & restarted ZendServer6 and my HTTP instances again. I suspect it's related to running the toolkit in the SQL server jobs (stateless), but as I've never been able to determine why the things start failing, I really can't be sure.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had similar experiences?

--Bryan

aseiden

Re: Possible issue running stateless?

Post by aseiden » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Did you have an RPG inquiry message causing the job to wait? You mentioned that your XTOOLKIT jobs had a similar problem. The usual reason is if an RPG or COBOL program has an inquiry message or error.

brya5265

Re: Possible issue running stateless?

Post by brya5265 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:30 pm

No, the jobs were not in MSGW state. When I had the issue with XTOOLKIT jobs they weren't in MSGW either. Naturally, when we're testing and get something wrong and one of the jobs *does* go into MSGW we have to respond to the message appropriately (usually cancel the job). But for these issues where I just start getting timeouts I've not been able to see any indication of why there's a problem in any of the logs or job logs.
--Bryan