Zend GData or Google API for calendar - which one to use?

For programming and general questions on Zend Framework

Zend GData or Google API for calendar - which one to use?

Postby northk on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 am

Greetings all,

I'd like to use the Zend_GData library to grab events (read only) from a public Google calendar. It looks a lot easier than Google's newest Calendar API V3, mostly because of the complicated OAuth 2.0 authentication mechanism Google requires and the lack of good documentation from Google.

However I see that Google is deprecating several of their GData API's (see developers dot google dot com/gdata/docs/directory). There Google says "Warning: Several of the APIs listed on this page are deprecated or obsolete, and some have been replaced with APIs that aren't Google Data APIs." It doesn't specifically say that the GData API for Google Calendar is going away, but I'm wondering if anyone has info on if the GData API for Google Calendar will continue to be supported or not.

I'm not expecting anyone to read Google's mind, but I'm hoping you have some info on this. I want to avoid writing my app to use the Zend_GData library if it's clear that GData support is going to be dropped by Google. Google searches aren't giving me the goods. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
-NorthK
northk

Return to Zend Framework