404 after Expressive Skeleton installation

For programming and general questions on Zend Framework

404 after Expressive Skeleton installation

Postby elen2630 on Tue May 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi,

I have successfully installed (first time) Zend Expressive on my Windows IIS, following instructions from zend-expressive/getting-started/skeleton/

So far, to test the framework I have installed it inside a test folder, inside my wwwroot directory (accessible from intranet). I have not started the built-in web server since I guess this is not necessary being on a server machine...

Now when I call myserver/test/expressive/public I receive a 404 not found (see attached)....I guess I should see instead some sort of test web page...can you give me some hints about what am I missing?

Thanks
Attachments
ExpressiveInst404.png
ExpressiveInst404.png (34.24 KiB) Viewed 736 times
elen2630

Re: 404 after Expressive Skeleton installation

Postby elen2630 on Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 am

I have done a new installation locally on my laptop, using xampp. Once I've finished if I call directly the public dir localhost/zend-skeleton-expressive/public I receive the same 404.
If from the prompt, inside the zend dir, I run the php built-in server with the suggested command $ composer run --timeout=0 serve then the call to localhost:8080 serves Expressive correctly.

Sorry for the very low level question, but can anyone explain me why do I have to run the php built-in-server? Since I can use a Windows server test machine, why can't I simply http to the zend dir and access the application?

Thanks

Elena
elen2630

Postby kian6526 on Sat May 20, 2017 7:01 am

Bonjour,
From my experience, using IIS is somehow troublesome, employ wamp (Xampp is ok too), create a zf folder under www folder of wamp, download composer from zend and run the proper command to install skeleton project, with the assistance of wamp icon , you will be able to create a Virtual Host (zftutorial.localhost for instance) and then you will be on your railroad. How to create a Virtual host, you go to wamp server website and you will find best tutorials there.
I am a joomla developer and I am employing zend next to joomla, so I am not that prof in zend, but following these steps shall lead you to success. IIS is no good.
Kian William
kian6526

Postby elen2630 on Sat May 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi Kian,

Thanks for your reply! I am a Joomla! developer too, and I would like to start using Zend alongside the Joomla! framework.
Your explanation is quite clear, but I don't understand why do I need to create a virtual host running the php built-in command, since xampp already creates a virtual host...I think. Inside IIS I have php and composer installed, and we run several php web app, so again I don't see why do I need a virtual host since IIS is a real server....
I would expect to have to run the php built in server only if I were on my local machine without xampp installed....

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something very basic here....

Elena
elen2630

Postby kian6526 on Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 am

I meant if you employ wamp, you may create a virtual host, I did not know Xampp does that automatically, local servers do not usually do that automatically .
I had IIS too, yet with lots of errors, I decided to use wamp in host operating system and lamp in virtual guest operating system to obtain experience on both.
If you like, download wamp and install it( if your OS is window) and you will see most problems of yours shall be eliminated and you will have more time to spend over Zend.
Kian William
kian6526

Return to Zend Framework