I was finally able to get mine working after stumbling across the following page:
http://godzillai5.wordpress.com/2012/05 ... ng-xdebug/
Note that you can't set breakpoints with xdebug in Netbeans. You can, however set it to break at the first line and step through which works really well. If I really need a breakpoint, I add "xdebug_break()" in my source at which point it will break. Also, if you have a fatal error in your php that you step through, you'll have to restart Netbeans. Somehow it kills the connection to xdebug. That's the biggest bug that I've found. Just catch it before you get there and stop the debug and you're fine.
Hope this helps.