No more CE/Free version for IBM i?

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
kingharrison

No more CE/Free version for IBM i?

Post by kingharrison » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 am

Is there no more CE (or free version) of Zend Server for IBM I? Does that mean there is no way to run PHP on the IBM i anymore unless you purchase Zend Sever?

aseiden

Re: No more CE/Free version for IBM i?

Post by aseiden » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Basic (no charge) edition still exists on IBM i.

brya5265

Post by brya5265 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 pm

On our HA box we were just using the Basic Edition. Now when I go to the ZendServer login page it says I'm using the Basic Edition but my license has expired. When I log in I get a new screen with options "Continue with basic edition" or "Contact Zend to upgrade." When I click "Continue using Basic Edition" it takes me to a zend account login screen and just takes me to my account. I close that and click the "Continue with basic edition" again and it asks for my serial# and says it will provide the free key in my account. But after keying the serial number I get a screen that says "Sorry, Zend Server Free Edition is no longer available."

--Bryan

aseiden

Post by aseiden » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Basic edition (no charge) for IBM i (and ONLY IBM i) is definitely still available. Contact someone at Zend for help, either via web site chat or call an account manager. To clarify for everyone, I assume your PHP is still working but the Admin GUI is disabled till you get the license straightened out.

Alan

vaa03

Post by vaa03 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:36 pm

I had the same problem during a fresh installation of zs 6.3 I got the prompt who notified me that basic edition will no longer available.

I think there are problems with the adoption of new license scheme reflected into zs application.

Mirco

brya5265

Post by brya5265 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:56 pm

I'm told by Zend that IBMi users can still get a one-time, 1-year free license. But that's it. After that you have to buy it and if you have a backup server (like we do), then you have to buy an additional (discounted) license for that too.

I'm not clear about whether they still have the CE version for special cases like partners or open source projects.

--Bryan

aseiden

Post by aseiden » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:39 am

Incorrect. There's still a free "basic edition" for IBM i. Watch one of Zend's official recorded webinars about Zend Server 7 for IBM i if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Alan

kingharrison

Post by kingharrison » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:47 am

It is quite confusing how they are doing it, but, there is still a free version. Zend basically wants the chance to sell you their upgraded solutions once a year. You talk to them, say you want to stay free, and you are good to go. I wish it was clearer from the new user perspective but you all should be good to go.

brya5265

Post by brya5265 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Okay, thanks. I'm pushing back to my contact at Zend and requesting only a basic edition license for our backup machine. I referenced the webinar and the quote in it where they state they will still renew the basic edition license for you.
--Bryan