Zend Server becomes non responsive.

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
bucknum

Zend Server becomes non responsive.

Post by bucknum » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:27 pm

We switched from Zendcore to Zend Server last week, and ran into a issue yesterday where it the server appears to become none responsive. We started getting the following error in the logs:

[Thu Aug 12 14:03:55 2010] [error] Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [0] There is no error.

After getting that one a few times, it changed to this:

[Thu Aug 12 14:04:56 2010] [error] Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [3447] A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.

I wasn't in the office so wasn't able to do anything other than have them restart everything which fixed it, but I'm wondering what if anything I can look at if this occurs again.

tempaler

Re: Zend Server becomes non responsive.

Post by tempaler » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:07 am

Server was working fine then it becomes unresponsive to the point where the web management GUI is no longer responsive. I have to go in on the green screen and restart it from the iseries console. In the log I find these to messsages starting and repeating at about the time of the outage.

[error] Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [3447] A remote host did not respond within the timeout period
[error] Can not connect() to /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [3425] A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

erich_hieden

Post by erich_hieden » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 am

We've also had this error from time to time on our devlopment system, but never on any production system, so it isn't a major bug for us.

Just wanted to point out, that you can also use the HTTPAdmin instance (http://server_ip:2001/HTTPAdmin) to restart the server if you don't want to use the green screen.

Regards

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm

We have also had an issue with this, and have been working with IBM and they have found an issue. They have created a PTF for us and it appears to have solved our issue. The PTF is still in test MF51559.

jakobzander

Post by jakobzander » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:39 am

Hi all,

we are running ZendServer 5.0.1 on V6R1M1 and we had the same problem. In our log we found:

[warn] Cannot send HTTP response errno=3455
[error] Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [0] There is no error.

So we applied PTF MF51561 (MF51559 for V6R1M1) but it didn't help. The server still hangs. I now also find this in the log:

Can not connect() to /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [3425] A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jakob

tempaler

Post by tempaler » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:57 pm

I applied PTF MF51560 (5722999) per Zend support. My machine is at v5r4 atm. So I am not sure if this will solve the issue but I just put it on my production machine and will watch it to see if this resolves the issue.

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Make sure you turn HotBackup Off in your web server config.

tempaler

Post by tempaler » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 pm

The PTF did not solve the issue, I was told to start a discussion with IBM on this issue

jakobzander

Post by jakobzander » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 am

We made some changes to the fastcgi config file which diminished the problem but didn't fix it. The server still hangs but not so frequently.

(old values)
PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=25 (5)
ConnectionTimeout="350" (30)
RequestTimeout="650" (60)

This warning is given in the log:
"[warn] Cannot send HTTP response errno=3455"

shlomov
Zend Global Support

Post by shlomov » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:37 am

Edited 2013/02/01 by Zend Support - The directive "sockets.use_system_read" has been deprecated and is no longer used by PHP. This value is disregarded if it is found in php.ini. So, this suggested fix is no longer useful.

Symptom: The Apache error log shows this error:

Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [3447] A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.

(or possibly: Can not read response from /usr/local/ZendSvr/bin/php-cgi.bin (0.0) - [0] There is no error.)

Resolution: Please try setting the php.ini directive "sockets.use_system_read=on".

Here is how to do it:

Please go into the Zend Server admin in your browser at http://<your i5 ip>:10088/ZendServer/ .
Navigate to Server Setup -> Directives. On the top line it says "View: Popular" and then there is a link for "All".
Click the "All" link. This makes the list a lot longer. Scroll down to "sockets" and click the arrow to expand the "sockets" directives.
The directive "sockets.use_system_read" should appear, and it is set to "Off" by default. Please click the "On" radio button.
Then, click the "Save Changes" button that is near the top right corner of the page.
Then, please click the "Restart PHP" button that is near the bottom right corner of the page.
This will take Apache down for a couple of minutes, so please consider doing this procedure when traffic on your web site is low.