MySQL discontinued on IBM i

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
erich_hieden

Re: MySQL discontinued on IBM i

Post by erich_hieden » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks Kent for your answer.

Never had a doubt that IBM and Zend had the ability to keep MySQL *AND* IBMDB2i storage engine running. I just wasn't sure if there was enough "will" to do that.

Since you are so confident about this issue, I won't do anything about it and hope for the best.

Regards

aseiden

Post by aseiden » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks for everyone's clarifications. A related article in today's IT Jungle (http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs011111-story01.html) quotes IBM's Allison Butterill and Ian Jarman. In the article they say that IBM is investigating solutions that, they hope, would maintain MySQL as an officially supported database, possibly with Zend's help. It's all speculation at this stage, but IBM seems to be considering the alternatives and wants to choose the right one.

erich_hieden

Post by erich_hieden » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks Alan for sharing this article. So things aren't looking as grim as it seemed weeks ago. I'm really hoping IBMis pikcing up on the IBMDB2i storage engine again as there are sill issues within the latest version. (I reported them at MySQL a year ago, but seemingly nobody was interested in them).

Regards

darkluke980

Post by darkluke980 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Hello,

my company in Italy have made more than 50 installation of PHP for IBM i and none have asked for MySQL or DB2MYSQL engine, because the main database engine is DB2. We know about other 100 installation, where the situation is the same. If someone want to use MYSQL, they use an external connection.

This is my personal statistics, it would be intersting to know how many people it the world use MYSQL into AS400.

Bye

Luca

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Ok now we can officially comment on this!

For the past five years, IBM and Zend have collaborated to deliver a PHP-based, open-source ecosystem around the Power Systems IBM i platform. The goal has been to provide a tested, pre-configured, optimized, and supported technology stack that enables IT organizations to web-enable their existing applications, databases, and/or business logic that resides on IBM i systems. Mission accomplished!

Looking ahead, IBM and Zend will sustain this commitment to the IBM i community for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, we are expanding our strategic alliance in new and important ways that will keep the platform open, vibrant, and growing.
  • IBM will continue to deliver Zend Server for IBM i with every IBM i shipment. Zend Server 5.5 for IBM i will be GA by year end—a release that fills the application deployment gap in the PHP application lifecycle. Zend will continue to provide the first year of support for Zend Server CE at no additional charge with follow on support subscriptions for additional years.
  • Zend will provide "Zend DBi" as a drop-in replacement for MySQL on the IBM i platform. Zend DBi will be shipped as part of Zend Server for IBM i and freely downloadable as a standalone package. The build will remain open-source and be updated over time to implement relevant bug fixes and features that become available for MySQL on other platforms. Commercial support will also be available for purchase.
  • IBM will continue to maintain and deliver, via Zend Server and as a standalone package, the DB2 Storage Engine for MySQL for IBM i. This offering will evolve along with the custom build of MySQL on IBM i delivered with Zend Server.
  • IBM and Zend are developing an open-source toolkit alternative, based in XML. It is available in beta now as part of Zend Server 5.1 for IBM i and downloadable from the Young i Professionals site: (http://www.youngiprofessionals.com/wiki/XMLSERVICE). The XML toolkit will GA by year end.
Zend and IBM hope this will address any fears people have about the continued support for MySQL and he DB2 storage engine.

yiyujia

Post by yiyujia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 pm

kentatzend wrote: [*]IBM and Zend are developing an open-source toolkit alternative, based in XML. It is available in beta now as part of Zend Server 5.1 for IBM i and downloadable from the Young i Professionals site: (http://www.youngiprofessionals.com/wiki/XMLSERVICE). The XML toolkit will GA by year end.[/list]

Zend and IBM hope this will address any fears people have about the continued support for MySQL and he DB2 storage engine.
Hi Zend,

Would you please explain more about this XML Service? For example, compare to developing Web service on IBMi, what is the advantage of this XML Service? I went through the article. but I can not get what is the point to have the XML Service product, especially for application developing.

Why do we need this XML service?

Thanks and regards,

Yiyu Jia

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 pm

This isn't a web service technology. It is a new PHP toolkit technology that is based on XML. It provides a technology that allows PHP code to call DB, RPG and OS functions.

yiyujia

Post by yiyujia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Also, would you please confirm this bug about cardinality value updating from MySQL version elder than 5.1 is fixed in MySQL for IBMi? http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=44059

I used to run into this bug. It made me bad life. So, I just want to confirm before I fall in love with MySQL on IBMi.

thanks

Yiyu Jia

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 pm

I hate when poeple hijack a thread ..... Create your own thread if you have an unrelated question.

yiyujia

Post by yiyujia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:21 pm

kentatzend wrote:This isn't a web service technology. It is a new PHP toolkit technology that is based on XML. It provides a technology that allows PHP code to call DB, RPG and OS functions.
From http://www.youngiprofessionals.com/wiki/XMLSERVICE :
"XMLSERVICE is Open Source RPG code that enables web XML scripting calls of System i resources PGM/SRVPGM, CMD, PASE utilities, and SQL DB2 (1.5+), over various driver transports (DRDA, ODBC, REST, etc.) via 1-tier (IBM i) or 2-tier clients (Linux/Windows). "

so, looks like this is an open source RPG project. From the web site, I understand it is not a Web Service. I just feel we can easily achieve same result by developing Web service. So, I am wondering if you can explain to us more advantage of this new project.

Thanks.

Yiyu Jia