ETA for PHP 5.5

General discussion forum for the Zend Server

ETA for PHP 5.5

Postby coffear on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:39 am

Now that PHP 5.5 what sort of time scale do we have for Zend server to support this version.

Would there be any problems manually upgrading?
coffear

Re: ETA for PHP 5.5

Postby yonman on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Hey coffear,

Thanks for your interest in the future of Zend Server.
We are currently looking into our own plans for facilitating PHP 5.5 in Zend Server but have no clear date as of yet for a release.
When we have a concrete plan nailed down we will, of course, update you and our users.

Zend does not support the sort of manual upgrade that you're describing - we also highly recommend you do not attempt to perform it as components of Zend Server may stop functioning.
"It's only hubris if I fail" - Gaius Julius Caesar
yonman

Postby derakkilgo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm

yonman wrote:Hey coffear,

Thanks for your interest in the future of Zend Server.
We are currently looking into our own plans for facilitating PHP 5.5 in Zend Server but have no clear date as of yet for a release.
When we have a concrete plan nailed down we will, of course, update you and our users.

Zend does not support the sort of manual upgrade that you're describing - we also highly recommend you do not attempt to perform it as components of Zend Server may stop functioning.

I'm curious if Zend is planning to keep up with the php groups release schedule, a new minor version every year.
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess

I don't want to update php every year and migrate dozens of projects at various points in their lifecycle to the next thing because its going to become un-supported.
I'd like to see zend propose a support time line for php versions used in zend server and I'd love to see something aken to the ubuntu support model.
Have a bleeding edge release and a LTS release which doesn't change as frequently. I think that's a really good model.
It honors the needs of both your early adopters and your business users.
derakkilgo

Postby rewilliams on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Now that PHP itself has a formal life cycle, I think what makes the most sense is to simply follow along. For Zend, that would basically boil down to three years of support for each version. If they want to extend that by a year or so as a benefit of the product, that would be okay, but the base three years is a great starting point that gives users a predictable schedule of releases with known BC consequences while also preventing Zend from having to provide support for a version of PHP all on their own for longer than they care to do so.

On the flip side of the coin, I hope that the new PHP schedule will also enable Zend to keep up with PHP, for those of us with applications that are built for the newer versions. In particular, I find it ridiculous that Zend Server only got support for PHP 5.4 a month or two before 5.5 came out. Do I now need to wait until the ZS 7/PHP 5.6 timeframe for 5.5 support?
rewilliams

Postby coffear on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks for the response Yonman. Really want to utilise PHP 5.5 but of course wish to use Zend Server. Of course will take your advise and not upgrade manually.

As the other responders mention would be good to get a good predictable release cycle and as PHP has such a release cycle now it should be fairly easy to implement.
coffear

Postby thadafinser on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Since 20th June PHP 5.5 is available.....
Today is the 26th November and not even a Beta or RC is out for ZendServer with PHP 5.5!

Is there now any date/plan?
thadafinser

Postby yonman on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:59 am

I can't give a date but I can tell you that we're working on the integration of ZS6 with PHP 5.5. This should see the light of day in the next release of Zend Server.
"It's only hubris if I fail" - Gaius Julius Caesar
yonman

Postby thadafinser on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

yonman wrote:I can't give a date but I can tell you that we're working on the integration of ZS6 with PHP 5.5. This should see the light of day in the next release of Zend Server.

7 months later still no integration. I think this is inacceptable (especially from the PHP company)

Time to switch away from ZendServer...
thadafinser

Postby MickeyZend on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Hold your horses and stay tuned for next week's announcement from Zend.
MickeyZend
Zend Product Manager

Postby sand1489 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 am

The next week's almost done, could you just give us some more information about PHP 5.5 for ZS ? Also, seeing that PHP's starting with the first releases for 5.6, will that also take a year before Zend Server implements it ?
sand1489

Next

Return to Zend Server