Zend Server 9 with PHP 7 is released!

General discussion forum for the Zend Server

Zend Server 9 with PHP 7 is released!

Postby MickeyZend on Wed May 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi guys,

So... it was worth waiting... best Zend Server EVER!
Try it now with PHP 7 and see how amazing it is:
http://www.zend.com/en/products/server/downloads

What else did we add, except for PHP7:

Code Tracing remastered: Brand new UI – cleaner, faster & much more responsive, full PHP 7 support
    Z-Ray History: Analyze past page behavior & performance, allowing comparative analysis of the page as it evolved
    Z-Ray for teamwork: Full page, easily shareable Z-Ray traces
    Z-Ray CLI support: Command-line executions now fully supported

...and many more goodies. Read the complete What's New here.

For feedback/questions: zs-feedback@zend.com

Happy coding!

Zend Team.

p.s. Note that you cannot upgrade, you'll have to do a clean install.
MickeyZend
Zend Product Manager

Re: Zend Server 9 with PHP 7 is released!

Postby webd7956 on Sun May 15, 2016 6:03 am

Great! i will use it for practice and see the new features, for production i will wait for a while.
webd7956

Postby stewartm on Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 am

Hi, when will ZS9 be available for the IBM i platform
stewartm

Postby MickeyZend on Wed May 18, 2016 6:51 am

Stay tuned for news about the i, I'll share this information very soon.
MickeyZend
Zend Product Manager

Postby rona2309 on Tue May 31, 2016 3:10 pm

I read the note "you cannot upgrade". I am disappointed and surprised. ZS is shipped as a product at industry level, giving teams the ability to enforce best practices.
=> We need an automatic tool for upgrading. Moreover, I feel that my company paid for it.

Thank you for your answer

Ronan
rona2309

Postby MickeyZend on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 am

Hi Ronan,

I understand your concern.
Best practice, and this is what we have always recommended to our customers, is to install Zend Server from scratch, do the necessary configuration/setup/testing and then switch to production.
This recommendation is mostly relevant when moving to newer major Zend Server/PHP versions (hence the 9 of the ZS version). This is even stronger in our case here: the extensive changes in the PHP 7 specifically and the different extensions, had serious potential in transforming the upgrade into a too fragile and non-reliable process.

Hope this makes sense,
Mickey.
MickeyZend
Zend Product Manager

Postby rona2309 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 am

MickeyZend wrote:Best practice, and this is what we have always recommended to our customers, is to install Zend Server from scratch, do the necessary configuration/setup/testing and then switch to production.
This recommendation is mostly relevant when moving to newer major Zend Server/PHP versions (hence the 9 of the ZS version). This is even stronger in our case here: the extensive changes in the PHP 7 specifically and the different extensions, had serious potential in transforming the upgrade into a too fragile and non-reliable process.

Hello Mickey,

In the specific case of Zend being the editor of both Zend Server and PHP, I do not see the recommendation of a fresh install as a best practice but rather as a lack of commitment toward your customers and a lack of confidence in your own products.

It's a shame that Zend does not seem to consider its customers needs: being focused on the product rather than on the customers needs for the product is a trap which breaks confidence.

I wish the very bad experience of the lack of migration possibility between Zend Framework major versions would have tought you a lesson but it seems that you still do not listen.

I know that Zend Framework and Zend Server are different products, and if the community can understand the complexity of migrating source code, for a project that is shipped for free, I think it is way different for Zend Server which is a product sold to professionals expecting full service, and who know that migrating a packaged product is 100% possible if you want to.

You feared that the upgrade might be fragile or non-reliable ? I can understand that this is a sensitive subject, but what made you think that it was not your job to make it rock-solid and reliable ?

As a side note, one of the main reason we buy Zend Server is because it allows us to provide a high level of service to our own customers, because ZS manages software lifecycle, and specifically eases application deployement and upgrades, with a process that is automatized and reliable, easy to test, all this without out shutting down the service. Eat your own dog food...

To conclude, implementing ZS9 on our production server will require an important effort, not the one of adapting our source code to PHP7, but the one of backuping, uninstalling, new install, configuration, new tests, etc. All this adding some risk to my business, because your own lack of commitment.

I did try to be honest, I hope I am not being rude: as a customer, I expect Zend to change its approach toward bringing a service, rather than staying on the low level of bringing a technology.

Ronan
rona2309

Postby 3f62010 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 am

Hello,

I completely agree with Ronan here.

The current Zend Server (ZS) 9 release strategy only enforces my personal opinion, on not to rely on Zend Server in a production environment, and keep on using "standard" PHP distribution and operation methods.

In addition, I'm very surprised, that ZS 9 cannot be installed with PHP 5.6.

Thank you.
Conversions and Calculations
http://www.aqua-calc.com
3f62010

Postby stewartm on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:04 pm

MickeyZend wrote:Stay tuned for news about the i, I'll share this information very soon.

Hi Mickey

any news on possible release date of ZS9 for ibm i.

Also, what will be the minimum requirement of ibm i release, V7R1 ?

Thanks
Mark
stewartm

Postby amar9450 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:53 am

This is a great news for every PHP developers.This reduces all the complicated task for the developers.
amar9450

Return to Zend Server