Zend Cluster on AWS RDS question

General discussion forum for the Zend Server

Zend Cluster on AWS RDS question

Postby terr3089 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:05 pm

I have several Zend clusters running created with the suggested Cloudformation template. But each cluster has its own RDS to manage the cluster.

My question is: Can the ZEND databases from several clusters be combined onto 1 RDS?

I understand the suggested Clouformation template builds all the items required for an initial installation but where we already have Zend cluster RDS it seems more efficient if we could re-use it.

Thanks

terry
terr3089

Re: Zend Cluster on AWS RDS question

Postby dima_z_zend on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:34 pm

The only way to achieve this is to create RDS manually and then modify CF template to use it instead of creating new one.
Note that you would also have to modify instances creation in CF template so that they enter same Security Group as RDS instance you have to be able to communicate with RDS.
Let me ask, why do you run multiple Zend Server clusters? You can run multiple web sites and/or web applications on same cluster.
Dmitry Zbarski
Cloud Integration Engineer
Zend Technologies, Ltd.
dima_z_zend

Postby terr3089 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm

I accept I would have to create a separate RDS and modify the existing CF template. My question was a little more fundamental:

Looking at our existing Zend RDS's the schemas all look the same and I wondered if there would be a conflict of data if I tried to use the same RDS for 2 different clusters. From what you say it appears it can be done and I wonder what changes to the Zend config would be needed to achieve it

As for running multiple clusters, we do it for organisational reasons. Some functions of our system do not usually need much processing power while others get hammered. In additions updates can be applied to one part of the system while other parts are left untouched. This makes testing easier. Also if there is a problem the logging is easier to follow with a system that is sub-divided

Thanks
terr3089

Postby dima_z_zend on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:43 pm

You would have to change only userdata that is passed to instances.
Zend Server instances expect it to be valid JSON object. If you open CF template you will see that JSON is constructed there dynamically to indicate details about RDS instance.
Instead of constructing JSON dynamically you could make it static with details of RDS you created manually.
To have multiple clusters use same RDS, you will have to use separate DB for each cluster. DB name can be passed using ZEND_CLUSTER_DB_NAME parameter of JSON object passed in userdata.
Dmitry Zbarski
Cloud Integration Engineer
Zend Technologies, Ltd.
dima_z_zend

Postby terr3089 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm

That's brilliant. Thanks very much

Terry
terr3089

Return to Zend Server