Mac Zend Server CE - is there anything working?

General discussion forum for the Zend Server
akede

Mac Zend Server CE - is there anything working?

Post by akede » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:07 am

Ok yes, the installation is working so far. Meanwhile I did the installation a couple of times.
And yes I fully understand that the maintenance of various packages for various platforms is a huge effort and I'm really thankful that you go through this effort. I really would love to switch from MAMP to Zend Server but so far MAMP just works so much smoother.

Some thoughts.

a) No access to the files via file browser
Due to the fact that the whole server incl. docroot ... is installed under /usr/local it is not possible to access any of the files without a shell. Why the heck can't you install the server as any other application under /Applications ? MAMP works this way without any problems and it makes the work with your server so much easiler.

b) MySQL using own socket path
After the installation I'm not able to access the mysql server with any other mysql client (e.g. Navicat) or telnet - connection refused. Yes I have checked my firewall settings, and many other things - actually it cost me already a couple of hours. I understand that you try to create a bundle that is in-depended from other installations - but isn't that a bit to much?

c) changing of MySQL root user password with phpmyadmin
I'm not sure if this is a sole problem of mine or anybody else tried that already. I changed the user password for root using the standard phpmyadmin function (home dialog). This works for all my other servers, but here it crashes the server somehow. The password is changed to something I don't know. After that the access to the server is not possible with either the old (empty) or the new password. What the heck?

d) Automatic start of the server
You install a script that automatically starts the server anytime the machine starts. But on the other side you do have a control application as well. So what? I highly recommend you enable your control application to run your start/stop scripts and do not automatically start the servers until the user/admin defines that. Its not support the development process because sometimes you just don't want to have your local server running. May be integrate a dashboard item similar as MAMP did it - this is pretty smart if you ask me.

So far I gave up and use the installation only to reference to the debugger :-( - would be great to switch finally, but for that either I need to understand more what you are doing or some changes are needed.

Alex

massimilianoc

Re: Mac Zend Server CE - is there anything working?

Post by massimilianoc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Our Product management team will look into your statements in the process to continuously improve the quality of Zend Server on the Mac OSX.

Best regards,
Massi.
Best regards,
Massi.

mbs400

Post by mbs400 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Alex wrote:
b) MySQL using own socket path
After the installation I'm not able to access the mysql server with any other mysql client (e.g. Navicat) or telnet - connection refused. Yes I have checked my firewall settings, and many other things - actually it cost me already a couple of hours. I understand that you try to create a bundle that is in-depended from other installations - but isn't that a bit to much?

c) changing of MySQL root user password with phpmyadmin
I'm not sure if this is a sole problem of mine or anybody else tried that already. I changed the user password for root using the standard phpmyadmin function (home dialog). This works for all my other servers, but here it crashes the server somehow. The password is changed to something I don't know. After that the access to the server is not possible with either the old (empty) or the new password. What the heck?

Alex
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAVICAT SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

[2009.15.07](06:58AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ open /usr/local/zend
( 1 ) I launched Navicat and created a new connection :

Connection Name : ZendServerCE
Host Name/ IP Address : localhost
Port : 3306
User Name : root
Password : <mysql_root_password>

Tried to connect, and got
ERROR : Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61)
( 2 ) Shutdown ZSCE (Zend Server CE)

[2009.15.07](07:05AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo /usr/local/zend/bin/zendctl.sh stop
---> Password:
---> Stopping ZendServer 4.0.4 ..
--->
---> /usr/local/zend/bin/apachectl stop [OK]
---> Stopping ZendServer GUI [Lighttpd] [OK]
---> Shutting down MySQL
---> . SUCCESS!
---> Stopping Java bridge [OK]
--->
---> ZendServer stopped.
( 3 ) Zend Server CE comes with my.cnf inside "/usr/local/zend/mysql/data/" which generates a "deprecated location warning". It needs to be moved.
ZSCE Location : /usr/local/zend/mysql/data/my.cnf
New Location : /usr/local/zend/mysql/my.cnf

So I moved it to its new location as recommended by the warning, and created a symlink back to its old location in order not to break whatever it was that wanted it there to begin with, maybe the gui needed there, who knows. I didn't bother to try it without the symlink. It was just as easy to create one...

[2009.15.07](06:59AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo mv /usr/local/zend/mysql/data/my.cnf /usr/local/zend/mysql/my.cnf 

[2009.15.07](07:00AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo ln -s /usr/local/zend/mysql/my.cnf /usr/local/zend/mysql/data/my.cnf 
( 4 ) The second problem was that for Navicat to work for me, I had to change the ownership:
ZSCE owner:group : zend:wheel
New owner:group : root:admin

[2009.15.07](07:00AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo chown root:admin /usr/local/zend/mysql/my.cnf 
[2009.15.07](07:01AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo chmod 660 /usr/local/zend/mysql/my.cnf 
( 5 ) When trying to connect using Navicat, I had gotten :
ERROR : Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61)
Two things will cause this message from my experience :
( a ) mysqld is not running which you can check with
$ ps aux | grep mysql
( b ) the socket file path is wrong.

Since I knew mysqld was running, I knew I needed to change the socket file path :

TO : /usr/local/zend/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock

Assuming you have created a connection profile within Navicat Set :

GOTO, SET, AND SAVE : Connection Menu -> Connection Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Socket File Path : /usr/local/zend/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock
( 6 ) START ZSCE

[2009.15.07](07:05AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo /usr/local/zend/bin/zendctl.sh start
---> Starting ZendServer 4.0.4 ..
--->
---> /usr/local/zend/bin/apachectl start [OK]
---> spawn-fcgi.c.207: child spawned successfully: PID: 883
---> Starting ZendServer GUI [Lighttpd] [OK]
---> [15.07.2009 07:05:49 SYSTEM] watchdog for lighttpd is running.
---> [15.07.2009 07:05:49 SYSTEM] lighttpd is running.
---> Starting MySQL
---> . SUCCESS!
---> Starting Java bridge [OK]
---> [15.07.2009 07:05:50 SYSTEM] watchdog for java_daemon is running.
---> [15.07.2009 07:05:50 SYSTEM] java_daemon is running.
--->
---> ZendServer started...

[2009.15.07](07:05AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ 
phpMyAdmin PASSWORD PROBLEM
I tried entering the root password in phpMyAdmin, but then phpMyAdmin would not let me back in, and the only way I was able to solve this issue was by removing and re-installing ZSCE. It wouldn't let me in with the password I had just created, and it wouldn't let me in with an empty password either.

This became a huge pain after restoring the startup disk to pre-install state by restoring the drive from the earlier backup. I had tried just re-installing Zend Server CE again, but for some reason I never got that to clear up the problem.

I was finally able to get phpMyAdmin to work by doing this :
( 1 ) Launch phpMyAdmin by going to Monitor -> Dashboard -> Open phpMyAdmin

At the login enter "root" for the username, leave the password blank :

Username : root
Password :

Immediately click on "Logout" without creating a new root password.

Actions -> Logout

Now I want to shutdown and restart the Zend Server, to make sure that whatever preferences phpMyAdmin needs have been created and saved.
( 2 ) Shutdown ZSCE (Zend Server CE)

[2009.15.07](07:05AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo /usr/local/zend/bin/zendctl.sh stop
( 3 ) START ZSCE

[2009.15.07](07:05AM) -> [roscoe] ~  $ sudo /usr/local/zend/bin/zendctl.sh start
( 1 ) Launch phpMyAdmin by going to Monitor -> Dashboard -> Open phpMyAdmin
At the login enter "root" for the username, leave the password blank :

Password :

Now we will create a new root password.

Actions -> change password

set the <mysql_root_password> you would like, enter it twice, and save the dialog.

At the top of the page click on "Server : localhost", and you will be prompted to login again. This time use the new <mysql_root_password> :

Password : <mysql_root_password>

And this time phpMyAdmin should let you in just fine...

Why it works this way ? Who knows ?

pakmannen

Post by pakmannen » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:19 pm

I think the Mac client is awsome, and for the same reasons that you mention!

1. The installation belongs in /usr/local/. Stick with Unix standards on a Unix based system. And of course you can access the files. If you want to open them with Finder, click Go->Go to folder (Shift+Command+G) and type /usr/local/zend. Definite win over Mamp!

4. This could perhaps be a setting somewhere but I prefer it to be always on. When I used to compile my own apache/php/mysql installations I had to create launch deamon scripts to accomplish this, so for me it's another win. Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want it to autostart? When do you not want the server to be running?

I'm using PhpMyAdmin or Sequel Pro which lets you specify a socket, so I haven't had that particular problem.

akede

Post by akede » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:39 am

Hi,

@mbs400 - just one word: awesome!

Many thanks for this detailed description. I'll look into it

@pakmannen

The main reason I like to have it switched off is that I'm primarily working on a development server (linux box) which is used for the work within the team. The local environment is only used if I'm traveling. Having it off makes sure I access the right sites while developing.

Thanks for the hint with the directory access - there are so many shortcuts ...

Alex

snorri67

Post by snorri67 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:45 am

Hi,
I could not manage to get access to ZCE via local network without opening my firewall completely (which is not really what I want...).
Adding Zend Server.app to my selected appllications list does not work.

I even tried the following:

sudo ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 10088 
and a bunch of those lines with all my vhost ports without success.

Did anybody get it to work?
Any help appreciated.