Performance on Windows XP

General discussion forum for the Zend Server
saphir2k

Performance on Windows XP

Post by saphir2k » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi,

today is my performance problem day, i think! ;-)

My developer machine is a Win XP Sp3, CoreDuo 2,1GHz with 2GB of RAM. We are working with Zend Framework, which should be a ideal partner for Zend Studio. I realized a big performance difference between a Linux Machine (CentOS) and a Windows(XP) Machine. The machines are configured identically over the GUI.

My loading times on Windows XP are about 700ms - 3,5s only to get the response from the request (not included are picture loading and other requests). Zend Server itself reports a lot of theese requests as slow queries and after using the really great profiling functionality, i figured out the problem. It's the require and include statements. About 60 - 80% are spent for including files. I stopped my virus scanner in the background and all other stoppable background services, but with minimal to none improvements.

Am i the only developer with this problem? I used the search of this forum, but found no other related task.

Your help is really appreciated,
Thorsten

shahar

Re: Performance on Windows XP

Post by shahar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:47 am

Hi,

It is usually very hard to compare the performance of a single application on two operating systems. There are too many differences between Windows XP and Linux, even with similar hardware, that would cause one to be very different from the other performance wise.

Regarding file loading time: providing that you have Optimizer+ enabled, you should not worry about that, because file loading time is eliminated almost entirely by Optimizer+'s opcode cache. The profiler turns that off in order to show you more accurate results, but in the real world you can almost entirely ignore file loading time.

Please make sure that you have Optimizer+ enabled. If you still feel that your application is running slower than you expect it to, I would be very interested, if possible, in trying to benchmark your application here in our labs - I'm not sure you want to share your code (and not sure it's portable) but if it is we might be able to learn something from it.

Best regards,

Shahar.
Shahar Evron <shahar.e@zend.com>
Product Manager, Zend Technologies

mikaelkael

Post by mikaelkael » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:51 am

Hi,

I stopped test performance on my XP because Windows filesystem is very different from Linux so you effectively spent a lot of time for inclusion. Try to apply performances rules described here: http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/per ... ading.html, those have a real impact on the performance with Windows (opcode cache, absolute path, organization of include_path, activation of autoloading and elimination of all require_once).

Mickael.

saphir2k

Post by saphir2k » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi,

the opcode cache was always enabled. The performance on windows is really poor.

I can send you a extract of the framework so you can test it in your lab. You can you contact me by mail.

But, please allow me a question about the Profiler. If the profiler disables the whole opcode cache, is it still useful to do profiling anyway? Maybe for some special cases, yes, but for testing the overall performance, it is not usable.

Regards,
Thorsten

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Even with the opcode cache off, if you ignore file loading and look at the rest of the numbers you get should still be useful.

saphir2k

Post by saphir2k » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:35 am

Yes, that's what i meant with "special cases". You can use it for isolated performance tests, but the overall performance of a request isn't a "real life" value. I have to admit, this profiler behavior was new to me. I should rethink about my previous performed performance tests. ;-)

But the bad windows performance is worth a discussion. I can't understand why nobody complains about similar problems.

regards,
thorsten

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 pm

I don't think most people are seeing bad performance on Windows. Our internal benchmarking shows that for typical applications like phpBB, Drupal, etc the performance of Zend Server on Windows is roughly on par with the performance with Linux. The key difference is in application that do lots of file access as the Windows file system is just inherently slower than the Linux. It is even more critical if you are using a network mounted file system (like using a Linux share to store the PHP). This is just SLOOOOOOW. So maybe there is something unique about your setup and or application. I do wnat to try to investigate this as best we can because it could be some underlying problems that we do need to fix.

Thoughts/Comments?

saphir2k

Post by saphir2k » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi kentatzend,

thanks for your reply. My application is on the same machine as Zend Server is running. My Application is based on Zend Framework, which itself does a lot of inclusions. Have you tested a ZF Application on Linux and Windows? I implemented a lot of suggestions of Matthew Weier O'Phinney (the new Ressource Loader, Zend Application, Module setup, ..).

We are about 15 Developer with windows machines and Zend Server and complain about poor response. Maybe its a good idea to use the Matthews PasteBin Application for futher performance tests. phpBB and Drupal are both performance drilled "NON OOP" php monsters. ;-) These application are far away from being a real "Enterprise Application" (which the ZF is target to build).

Regards,
Thorsten Ruf

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm going to ask someone to contact you ans see if we can figure out what is different about your situation from others we have observed.

shahar

Post by shahar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi Thorsten,

In order to get a better picture of this problem, I have some questions for you:

- I assume you are using Apache on Windows, is that correct?
- Can you attach (or send to shahar.e@zend.com if you do not want to attach here) your php.ini so we can look into it?
- Are you using the Oracle DB? If not, can you turn off the Oracle extension and try to test again?

Thanks,

Shahar.
Shahar Evron <shahar.e@zend.com>
Product Manager, Zend Technologies