Zend Server CE Mac 4.0.6 needs restarting often

General discussion forum for the Zend Server
stevegroom

Zend Server CE Mac 4.0.6 needs restarting often

Post by stevegroom » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Hello,
I'm learning Zend Framework using Zend Server CE and Zend Studio on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

From all my previous experience with programming in PHP is that web pages are stateless, meaning that refreshing the same page page should create the same results. This is however not what I am seeing on my test site.

I have for example a simple site based on the Zend Screencasts and have localhost:80/index working, localhost:/contacts is also working.
I then change something in contacts source, press refresh in firefox and it looks unchanged.
A second refresh, and it throws a Zend error.
That seems a bit wierd.

I then reverse the change that caused the failure.

Refresh does not get my original page to load, just another Zend error.

Neither can I load localhost:/index !!

Finally sudo /usr/local/Zend/bin/zend-clt.sh restart-apache

It all works again !

Apart from my test zendframework test site, I have a number of other virtual hosts on the same apache server that do not need restarting.

This seems really wrong to me, but as I don't have any previous experience with Zend Framework nor mod_rewrite, I am not certain.

Is this normal behaviour and if so what component is responsible for this kind of behaviour?

regards
Steve Groom

jphouben

Re: Zend Server CE Mac 4.0.6 needs restarting often

Post by jphouben » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Hello,

Me too, having same problem since I upgraded to Zend Server CE 4.06 (Mac OS X under Snow Leopard).
Changing one single property in a CSS stylesheet or an attribute in HTML code is enough to get a blank web page in any browser (Safari, Firefox, ...) in result of a refresh command ...
Each time I have to restart the Server using the "Restart PHP" button on the Monitor page.
Never seen such behavior on others local web servers (MAMP, XAMP,....) and the previous distribution (ZendServer-CE-php-5.2.10-4.0.5-darwin8.6-i386) never led me to such annoyances!
Not using ZF at all ... so the problem seems related to the server side.

Hope someone help us!

Regards
Jean-Pierre Houben

shahar

Post by shahar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi,

This is definitely not the intended behavior, and sounds like a bug. We will look into this.

A couple of questions:
1. You mention that "Zend throws an error" - can you please paste the error messages you are getting? Are those ZF error messages, PHP error messages or?
2. If you get blank pages, can you please set the display_errors directive to "On" and try again? If any error message comes up, can you paste it here?
3. This is not a solution but would help narrow down the problem: please try to turn off Optimizer+ in the Components page and restart the server. Does it make the problems go away?

Thanks,

Shahar.
Shahar Evron <shahar.e@zend.com>
Product Manager, Zend Technologies

stevegroom

Post by stevegroom » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Hello Shahar,
thanks for the reply.

I was receiving a number of different ZF errors, but as I have worked through them, the current easily re-createable error was to change a route in bootstrap.php.
This results in the first refresh working, then on the second refresh, I just get a blank screen for every page of the site.

I changed the display_errors setting and repeated the process and on the second refresh I get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot override final method Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::bootstrap() in Unknown on line 0

Then turned off the ZendOptimiser and repeated the same tests and the problem seems to have been resolved.

This really helps me in progressing my learning of ZF and restores my understanding of how things are supposed to behave. Obviously the optimiser still needs fixing, so let me know if I can return any other information. Thanks for the helpful response.

best regards
Steve Groom

altivec

Post by altivec » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 am

I have exactly the same problem on LINUX UBUNTU 9.10 with a deb install from the official zend server in 4.0.6
With Zend Optimizer+ Off, no more problems.

I tried playing with the directive of Zend Opmizer, but I crashed my zend server interface :

Calling parameters do not match signature

The issue raises when I change a file, then I get an error like :
Fatal error : Cannot override final method Zend_Controller_Action::_forward() in unknown on line 0

If I could help resolving this issue, don't hesitate, and tell me what to do.

Regards,

Aurélien.

chielsen

Post by chielsen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 pm

It seems i'm having the same problems, as posted here viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4588

I'm even using the new 5 beta version, but this didn't fix it.

Clearing the Zend Optimizer also solves (temporarily) the problem. Fairly sure that's the problem.

altivec

Post by altivec » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:58 am

Do you have some news about this bug ?
I still have this issue with Zend optimizer on...

Thanks,

Aurélien.

massimilianoc

Post by massimilianoc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Zend is working on the delivery of an hotfix, already tested and approved, scheduled for the next couple of days.

Until the hotfix is released, please replace the Optimizer+ binary with the one in the attached archive that suits your environment (replace /usr/local/zend/lib/optimizerplus/<your_php>/ZendOptimizerPlus.so and restart Apache).
Attachments
MACOSX.zip
ZendOptimizerPlus for Zend Server 4.0.6 - PHP 5.2.x and PHP 5.3.x
(206.88 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Best regards,
Massi.

saltwaterc

Post by saltwaterc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:13 am

I could crash the Zend Server GUI with this error:
The following error was retrieved from the Web server: Calling parameters do not match signature
by setting zend_optimizerplus.save_comments=0. Reverting it back to the default value to 1 fixes this behavior. This is a bug can be reproduced under ZSCE 5.0 as well. Turning off Zend Optimizer+ isn't required. However, it didn't break any of the applications that I tested on my stage setup. It simply broke the ZS GUI. Any idea how long before we are going to be able to use this feature in production?
Regards,
Ștefan "SaltwaterC" Rusu