Zend Optimizer+ Issues

General discussion forum for the Zend Server
nasirghaznavi

Zend Optimizer+ Issues

Post by nasirghaznavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I am receiving the following errors in my php_fcgi_err.log

Tue Feb 16 07:39:24 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (4892) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:39:39 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (4916) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:39:46 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (6512) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:39:59 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (3464) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:40:11 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (8056) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:40:20 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (4976) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:40:40 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (7952) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address
Tue Feb 16 07:41:33 2010: [ Zend Optimizer+ (4376) Fatal Error] Unable to reattach to base address

Many more like this when i turn Zend Optimizer+ On.

I Also start receiving the following error on php web pages
* The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly
* Error Number: -2 (0xfffffffe).
* Error Description: Unknown Error

Also the following errors are also logged in php_error.log when this happens

[16-Feb-2010 06:43:20] PHP Warning: Invalid CRT parameters detected in Unknown on line 0
[16-Feb-2010 06:43:45] PHP Warning: Invalid CRT parameters detected in Unknown on line 0
[16-Feb-2010 06:43:45] PHP Warning: Invalid CRT parameters detected in Unknown on line 0
[16-Feb-2010 06:45:55] PHP Warning: Invalid CRT parameters detected in Unknown on line 0

Furthermore in Event Viewer I have the following error logged repeatedly.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Zend Optimizer+
Event Category: None
Event ID: 487
Date: 2/16/2010
Time: 7:41:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer:**********
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 487 ) in Source ( Zend Optimizer+ ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to reattach to base address, Attempt to access invalid address.

I also want to mention here that though i run multiple application pools all are running under NETWORK SERVICE.
Also i have tried turning DATA CACHE off and then tried to activate Zend Optimizer+ Still the errors appears. At this time i have only DATA CACHE enabled and Zend Optimizer+ OFF and everything is working fine.

I am running the latest version of Zend Server with PHP 5.211

nasirghaznavi

Re: Zend Optimizer+ Issues

Post by nasirghaznavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Current PHPINFO information can be checked at http://thehardserver.com/phpinfo.php

nasirghaznavi

Post by nasirghaznavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

I think i have resolved this issue. I will report back if it is not resolved yet. I had to do manual IIS metabase edit for that. Previously i was running PHP5 and PHP4 in cgi/isapi mode from c:\PHP5 and c:\PHP5 respectively.

First i deleted the old PHP4 and PHP5 cgi/isapi extensions from the web server extensions in IIS(Remember do not delete or disable the fcgi extension). Then I stopped IIS completely, opened IIS metabase file in an editor and made the following changes.

Replaced the following two strings
.php,C:\PHP5\php-cgi.exe,5
.php,C:\php4\php.exe,5,GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE

TO

.php,C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\fcgiext.dll,5

everywhere in IIS metabase which is located in c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\metabase.xml. Backing it up first is recommended.

Then restarted IIS and Zend Server with Optimizer+ and Data Cache enabled.

I also renamed the folders c:\php4 and c:\php5 for extra security.

Everything is working fine now.

Remember when you restart IIS you may still find those replaced strings in some sites change them from IIS management console if they are there.

Hopefully this will help somebody.

Regards.

PS: I can still see some errors, but the frequency is very reduced and fcgi is not going down completely.

nasirghaznavi

Post by nasirghaznavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:37 pm

I am sorry but even though these changes did slow down the errors. IT still cause fcgi to through errors which increased with time. So i had to ultimately shutdown Zend Optimizer+ Again.

nasirghaznavi

Post by nasirghaznavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Here are some further interesting messages from zend_server_error.log, i can see that sometimes they are in sync in timming with those in php_error.log and php_fcgi_error.log.

2010-02-16T11:03:34-08:00 CRIT (2):

getAvailableComponents

Exception of type 'Zwas_Exception': Could not create the proper Zwas component named 'Zend Download Server'

#0 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\application\common\models\ZwasComponents\Enableable.php(15): ZwasComponents_Abstract->__construct()
#1 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\application\PE\models\ZwasComponents\Model.php(13): ZwasComponents_Enableable->__construct()
#2 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\application\common\controllers\ConfigurationController.php(10): ZwasComponents_Model->getAvailableComponents()
#3 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\library\Zend\Controller\Action.php(512): Common_ConfigurationController->zendServerComponentsAction()
#4 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\library\Zend\Controller\Dispatcher\Standard.php(288): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('zendServerCompo...')
#5 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\library\Zend\Controller\Front.php(945): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#6 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\html\index.php(83): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#7 {main}

2010-02-16T11:03:56-08:00 CRIT (2):

getAvailableComponents

Exception of type 'Zwas_Exception': Could not create the proper Zwas component named 'Zend Download Server'

#0 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\application\common\models\ZwasComponents\Enableable.php(15): ZwasComponents_Abstract->__construct()
#1 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\application\PE\models\ZwasComponents\Model.php(13): ZwasComponents_Enableable->__construct()
#2 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\application\common\controllers\ConfigurationController.php(10): ZwasComponents_Model->getAvailableComponents()
#3 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\library\Zend\Controller\Action.php(512): Common_ConfigurationController->zendServerComponentsAction()
#4 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\library\Zend\Controller\Dispatcher\Standard.php(288): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('zendServerCompo...')
#5 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\library\Zend\Controller\Front.php(945): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#6 C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\GUI\html\index.php(83): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#7 {main}

haiut

Post by haiut » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 am

Hi,
thanks for your report.

Let me start with the error messages about "Zend Download Server" you reported: indeed, these messages are confusing, though they are harmless. ZS GUI is attempts to check status of non-existing component (no Zend Download Server on Windows), and reports the problem to a log. This issue will be fixed in future, but it shouldn't worry you much as it doesn't affect Zend Server's operation and is just an incorrect error message thrown to the log.

Now to the O+ problem you reported -- we have found similar issues in the lab, and are investigating them now. It will be very helpful if you could provide some details about your environment: OS (WinXP, Vista, etc), 32/64bit, patch level (SP2, SP3, ..) and the exact version of Zend Server used. From the PHPINFO() I learned that you're using WinXP 64-bit or Win2003, is that correct ?

Thanks,
-alex haiut.

nasirghaznavi

Post by nasirghaznavi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

My OS is Windows Server 2003 Ent Edition 32 Bit. Service Pack 2 is installed. Zend Server is the latest version in the 4 branch.

nasirghaznavi

Post by nasirghaznavi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:56 pm

I even tried it with the newest fcgi dll from microsoft but as soon as i turn on Zend Optimizer+ i start receiving those errors in fcgi log files and fcgi errors on web pages.

What are you people doing about it?

beeare

Post by beeare » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:15 am

Hello,

we have the same problems with Zend Optimizer+ using the current version 5.0.2 of Zend Server CE 5 für PHP 5.2 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (64-bit). There are two of these machines, identically configured. The problem occurs on both of them.

Can we expect the problem to get fixed in the next weeks or do we have to switch back to the php.net version of PHP?

Best regards,
Benjamin Rack

haiut

Post by haiut » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi,

I believe you are referring to errors that cause php-cgi processes to exit immediately after start.
There are few reasons that can cause this behavior, and I'd like to see Zend Enabler's log (typically,
located in C:\Program Files\Zend\ZendServer\logs\ZendEnabler.log ) to determine the exact error and suggest proper solution.

If you were able to isolate the problem and reliably detect that it only occurs when Optimizer+ is loaded and enabled,
the issue can be solved using the configuration changes described in the following Zend Knowledge Base article:
http://kb.zend.com/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=454

Please try adding the recommended directive (zend_optimizerplus.mmap_base with suggested values) and restart Zend Server.
Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
-haiut.