How does typical developer workflow look like?

General discussion forum for the Zend Server

How does typical developer workflow look like?

Postby prit9448 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 am

I am having trouble finding documents that could describe what a typical developer workflow might look like when using Zend Server for development purpose.

For example, I would like to use my own editor (not Zend Studio), and I'd like to be able to see the result of my code changes without having to package anything up and do a full-on deployment. I'd also like to be able to do have different vhost configurations, and have code that runs in each. I could do this without Zend Server, of course, but then I lose all of the features that Zend Server brings.

Can someone help me to accomplish this kind of workflow?
prit9448

Re: How does typical developer workflow look like?

Postby zvika on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello
From what you're describing, putting aside the debugger question which is very important for placing watches on variables and using breakpoints,
your overall solution is like this:
1. Your IDE load a project with source PHP tree
2. Your Zend Server has a new vhost, using DocumentRoot pointing to your source tree root directory
3. If you have a bootstrap file, you can have rewrite in .htaccess or within the vhost (.htaccess is more portable when you move between directories)

Now, it doesn't really matter where the project sources are, as long as the web server can access the DocumentRoot defined in the vhost, for example:

Your PC has the sources
Sources are on local GIT and can be pushed to an origin repo
Sources are on a shared directory via mount / connect, so your IDE handles the remote filesystem as local
FTP/SCP possible but I do not recommend, an IDE need to parse multiple source files on each change, refactoring and indexing - better have a copy or source point on your filesystem

Zend Server is installed on your own machine
Zend Server on a local LAN server, with a mount on your filesystem sources
Zend Server on a virtual machine host in your machine, which keeps the host OS clean and can have snapshots on the VM

The above also works for Zend Studio of course, and when you wish to use the debugger client which works against the debug component in Zend Server PHP, you just need to run a debug session on the vhost you are using (it will add the debug parameters to the URL), and make sure your IDE client IP (matching WIFI, LAN, Internal network, Virtual network) is in the list of IPs under the Zend Debugger settings. This can also be passed to the debug session manually, if needed.

Hope this helps.
Please open a support case on further questions, so we can address them in our support system.
http://support.roguewave.com/zend/
Zvika Dror
Zend Support Team
zvika
Zend Global Support

Return to Zend Server