best practice: app settings

For programming and general questions on Zend Framework

best practice: app settings

Postby _sims_ on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:56 am

Hi all,

I'm building an app that at first will only have a few hundred users. However, I don't want to introduce any and heavy code that will not scale well with more users. I have some general app settings. They are not user specific. Things like logo file. There will not be more than 100 strings - currently only 4. If there are more than 20 settings, I made a bad design...

I'm thinking of this, but am interested in any other (better) ideas:

1. I have a table that stores these settings - (id, name, value, comment, order). I need these to be editable by the app admin. So an ini file is not very user friendly.
2. Upon login, all these settings are read and stored in the session.
3. The bootstrap reads the specific session namespace and stores the config data in the registry.

I figure the trip to the database is once per session. If I store sessions in memcache, that would actually be pretty fast even compared to reading an ini file once per request.

Any ideas? Am I over looking something? Security? I just want to make sure I got this right before I throw in a bunch of Zend_Registry::get('appconfig') everywhere.

Thanks!
_sims_

Re: best practice: app settings

Postby _sims_ on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 am

Yeah, I guess no one does this kind of stuff here. Never mind. I'm going with it.
_sims_

Re: best practice: app settings

Postby mike4045 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:04 am

App settings are the user-customizable portions of your Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app. For example, a news reader app might let the user specify which news sources to display or how many columns to display on the screen.
mike4045

Return to Zend Framework