Data Source Explorer - Do you use it with your i5?

General discussion on Zend Studio for IBM System i
davelhs03

Data Source Explorer - Do you use it with your i5?

Post by davelhs03 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone uses the Data Source Explorer in the ZSE i5 Edition.

I noticed that in the Connection Profile there is no Connection Type of DB2 UDB iSeries_V5R4. So i have it set to DB2 UDB iSeries_V5R3 and i think it will still work.

Does anyone know where to execute a select query. I tried the SQL Results panel and can type in a query, but can't execute the query. I also tried the SQL Query Builder, but it won't allow me to explicitly set a schema or implicitly set a default schema. It builds the queries just from the table names (i.e. SELECT * FROM TABLE, but doesnt allow SELECT * FROM SCHEMA.TABLE)

I also noticed that when you select a table to edit, it doesn't show you all the rows for that table and I don't see an easy way to search through the table.

Just wondering if anyone has some good ways of database management for DB2 UDB iSeries through the Zend Studio i5 edition.

rodflohr
Zend Global Support

Re: Data Source Explorer - Do you use it with your i5?

Post by rodflohr » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:58 am

Please try connecting using these steps:

1. Switch to the Database Development Perspective

2. In the data Source Explorer, right click 'SQL Databases' and select 'New...'.

3. Set the Connection Name to anything meaningful to you.

4. Under 'Select a driver from the drop-down:' select 'AS/400 Toolbox for Java Default'

5. The 'URL:' text box will now display this: 'jdbc:as400:host;prompt=false'. Substitute the ip address of your i5 for the word 'host'. For example, if your i5 ip address is 192.168.22.35, change it to: 'jdbc:as400:192.168.22.35;prompt=false'

6. Enter your User name and Password.

7. Click 'Test connection'. If you get the message 'Ping succeeded!' your connection should work. Click 'OK'.

8. Click 'Finish'.

9. The new connection will appear under 'SQL Databases'. Right click and select 'Connect'. Expand the tree to review your Schemas.

davelhs03

Post by davelhs03 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:57 pm

The connection isn't the problem. I'm just curious if others are using the Data Source Explorer, and why it doesn't appear to be able to :

1. Select a Connection Type of DB2 UDB iSeries_V5R4 (this probably doesn't matter but you never know)
2. Execute any query (SELECT, INSERT, DELETE) with an explicitly defined Schema and Table
3. Show you all the rows for a table selected from the tree view
4. Do anything useful for creating tables, stored procedures.

rbaril

Post by rbaril » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:37 pm

rodflohr,

I tried using your settings without success... I did have this working with my previous version of ZS. I'm using version 7 now. When I ping I get:

An internal error occurred during: "Ping server job".
java.lang.NullPointerException

Any ideas?

dagar1

Post by dagar1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:28 pm

I got the Data Source Explorer to work. Use the Connection how to as outlined earlier in this thread.
While in the Data Source Explorer, Create a new sql file. When the wizard comes up, select the connection that you setup earlier. Yes, at this time use the DB2 UDB iSeries_V5R3.
create a simple sql select statement in that new sql file and then right click on the line and select either execute selected text or execute all.

OK, I got the Data Source Explorer to work, and the Remote System Explorer to view the directories on the iSeries (have to select passive for ftp type).
Has anyone gotten the debuggnig to work with Zend Core and what are the setup options?
I wish there was a simple video that went through all of this to get up and running quickly.
Derek